Support Center - Irving
We're here for the Makers! Come be a part of the team where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Michaels is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are here for all Team Members and all Makers to create, innovate and be better together.The Vice President - Real Estate will be responsible for leading and driving the real estate and store development strategy for Michaels. Key objectives of this position include driving growth, facilities format optimization, store planning, construction and remodeling, retail design and innovation, market research, maintenance, lease administration and portfolio management.
- Lead and drive strategic planning of real estate and store development initiatives by examining internal capabilities and assets, analyzing competitive conditions, and utilizing insights from market models and analytics.
- Provide strategic and financial recommendations to deliver a unified plan to senior leadership
- Conduct regular business analyses of system-wide portfolio.
- Perform In-depth competitive and consumer discovery to assess key issues, risk, and opportunities in our existing Michaels Companies assets.
- Stay connected to industry innovations, researching and evaluating emerging concepts and best practices, and utilize to implement customized solutions for the chain
- Utilize proven methodologies, extensive subject matter expertise, industry-leading technology, and data-supported analytics to deliver powerful solutions to the complex issues.
Real Estate and Store Development
- Oversee construction of all new deals, remodels and major resets from conceptualization to completion to ensure successful execution.
- Oversee approach to market planning, site selection, and lease/purchase agreement requirements.
- Ensure operational plans are aligned with organizational needs and enable high performance.
- Oversee process for new store openings, store relocation and non-store facility initiatives including re-negotiation of existing leases, and review and approval all in-coming tenant and Landlord requests.
- Present new store deals, relocations, lease renewals, and other necessary information monthly to Real Estate Committee.
- Lead team to achieve and surpass goals for sites accepted in Real Estate Committee and optimize pace to lease or purchase agreement execution.
- Oversee corporate facility contracts/operations (i.e. co. cafeteria, copy center, mailroom, etc.)
Business Initiative Support
- Develop, manage and maintain a broad range of industry partnerships with Brokers, Developers, and Landlords
- Contribute to the development and implementation of departmental procedures and controls to more effectively monitor projects and prospective deal pipelines, and improve the processes, activities, and outcomes of the Company's development activities.
- Conduct or acquire cost analysis for development projects; prepare or delegate preparation of schedule of project completion dates.
- Oversee all rent payments and reconciliations of triple net costs for all facilities in the organization.
- Oversee all lease compliance issues to make sure our organization and the Landlords are meeting the requirements under each lease.
- Ensure we are complying with all guidelines for FASB, SOX, GAAP, etc.
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, preferably with a concentration in real estate, finance, or business-related degree
Minimum Special Certifications or Technical Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of construction practices/techniques, Title III of ADA, contract laws, project controls and building support systems or any similar combination of education and experience
- Requires expert level analytical, quantitative, and construction skills. Draws upon the analysis of others and makes recommendations that have a direct impact on the company.
Minimum Type of Experience the Job Requires
- 10+ years progressive leadership experience within a corporate real estate environment, preferably with a retailer or multi-unit organization with a large national footprint
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel up to 50% of time
- Strong communication skills within all levels of an organization including communication with C-Suite, vendors and team
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience leading cross functional teams.
- Thorough understanding of and ability to analyze key drivers of success for real estate and operations projects.
Applicants in the U.S. and Canada must satisfy federal, state, provincial and local legal requirements of the job.