This role presents an opportunity to direct and oversee the legal function of a quickly growing SaaS company. The role requires attention to a wide-range of legal and compliance matters including contracts, IP, data privacy, and employment. The VP, Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing guidance and oversight as well as tactical support to ensure the effective operation of the function. We are looking for someone that is commercially minded, who has worked in cross-border and multi-jurisdictional environments, and has experience working in the software sector.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
The essential functions and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Provide end-to-end contract support (i.e., advising, drafting, negotiating and readying for execution) to our sales and customer success teams on a broad range of commercial agreements in support of new sales, upsells, renewals, and partnerships.
- Oversight of legal's involvement in the contract life cycle, including dealing with initial requests for proposals/information (RFP/RFIs), contract red-line review and negotiation, and internal communication and management of any non-standard contract requirements.
- Management of a wide range of customer and vendor agreements, primarily SaaS and Data product agreements, also data distribution arrangements and other vendor agreements.
- Create and implement scalable contract policies, processes and templates for new business initiatives and to expedite contract review and negotiation and ensure compliance with current legislation across global jurisdictions.
- Implementation and oversight of a contract management system.
- Research, monitor and address relevant industry regulations including on new and emerging employment, privacy, cybersecurity and tech laws to serve as an internal resource on topics of importance to our business.
- Apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to minimize legal, compliance and regulatory risks.
- Partner with the security team to ensure ongoing compliance with GDPR and other relevant privacy laws.
- Assist with activities related to compliance obligations, audits, assessments and accreditations.
General Legal Support:
- Partner with the CFO & other members of the senior leadership team on the legal issues related to the strategic priorities of the company.
- Handle the legal process associated with any mergers and acquisition activities.
- Provide ad hoc support as and when required to managers, HR, finance and be able to support litigation files.
- Support our Human Resources team with legal employment matters
- Assisting with drafting and updating of company policies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Collaborative nature
- Pragmatic mindset balancing protecting the company from risk while enabling fast paced growth and innovation
- Strong negotiation and business acumen
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with clear and concise drafting skills
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, flexible and responsive
- Ability to effectively create and implement new and scalable processes
- Ability to work independently while having good judgment to escalate significant matters
- Proficiency in a wide variety of software systems
- Action Oriented
- Plan & Organize
- Implement Plan
- Articulate Ideas
- Interpersonal Skills
- Use Active Listening
- Create Succinct Messages
- Create Succinct Messages
- Use Correct Grammar
- Use Appropriate Message Medium
Flexibility & Adaptability:
- Open to Change
Teamwork & Collaboration:
- Establish Relations
- Share Ideas
- Build Trust
Professionalism & Work Ethnic:
- Manage Time
- Focus on Customer
- Be Accountable
Education & Experience:
We have identified the following programs, experience, and knowledge that have helped others find success in this role at Company. We understand though that knowledge comes from many forms of learning and experiences. Above all, we consider a person's potential impact in the role and value their unique path to this point in their career.
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience (ideally combined between a law firm and an in-house legal department in a technology company).
- Law Degree (Juris Doctor) with excellent academic credentials.
- Active license and certification to practice law in good standing.
- A combination of professional or educational experience (whether formal or informal) that affords you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities above.
This position will be responsible for managing the Legal Operations Manager and building and overseeing a team of individuals that will be responsible for tactical execution of the functions described above as the company continues to grow and scale.