The Commercial Real Estate ("CRE") team within the Commercial Bank at Company is one of the largest commercial real estate lenders with a loan portfolio of over $40B. The CRE team has recently embarked on an exciting transformation to become the smartest, fastest, most resilient bank in the industry and a beacon for top talent. A large component of that strategy is to provide broader geographic coverage with new products, new specialties and new asset classes.
To help drive this journey, Company's Commercial Bank is seeking a Vice President, CRE East to lead the originations teams located in Boston, New York, McLean/DC and Chicago. This role will provide leadership for CRE relationship managers in the East Hubs, who are responsible for extending and maintaining relationships with potential and existing customers, and deepening those relationships by delivering the entire Bank platform including loan, treasury, capital markets, agency lending and other products and services offered by Company. They will recruit and build a strong and effective origination teams, and will provide leadership and direction in coordinating the marketing and promotional efforts of the company regarding commercial real estate banking.
The ideal candidate is one who is results oriented, client focused, strategic, can navigate obstacles and roadblocks, and works collaboratively with cross functional team members.
This is a remarkable opportunity to help grow the CRE platform in an organization that aspires to be recognized as a thought leader and have the best customer and associate experience in the industry.
Reports to: Dan Hartley, Managing Vice President, COO & Head of Originations
Location: New York, NY
The role will be responsible for managing a geographically dispersed team and will focus on the following for the East Hubs:
- Develop and implement the strategy to position Company as the leader in CRE lending.
- Provide leadership of the commercial real estate loan production portfolio.
- Advise on policy matters balancing the needs of the originators with the best interests of the company.
- Assist with strengthening the first line of defense with a systematic and disciplined approach to commercial real estate lending that incorporates sound credit risk management processes with an innovative and forward-thinking perspective.
- Evaluate the current attractiveness of the market segments incorporating, strategic, cyclical and secular trends.
- Assist with the development of a go-to-market strategy for the company's commercial real estate banking services and products, as well as recommendations on future products and services.
- Support and assist with cross selling opportunities to leverage the bank's lines of business and capabilities which includes capital markets, treasury services and agency lending.
- Provide guidance and support with implementing and maintaining a Salesforce CRM system.
- Plans origination growth through the development of a business plan in alignment with CRE budget and consistent with overall Bank asset/liability management objectives.
- Partners with internal stakeholders to ensure exemplary customer experiences
- Oversees the analysis of CRE loan requests for approval or denial, including the structuring and pricing of those requests in order to fit within the Bank's Commercial lending policy.
- Ensures quality and conformity of the department's loan portfolio through review of financial information and maintenance of collateral. Conducts regular department meetings, credit meetings, and sales/marketing meetings to ensure goal attainment.
- Develops the strategic plans by analyzing present position and trends and by establishing performance objectives for the year.
- Includes, empowers and inspires the cross functional team.
- Establishes and implements a sales strategy; interacts with customers or potential customers to explain Company products and services with the goal of increasing business with the company.
- Help others gain deep knowledge of products, deal structuring, market trends and client interaction.
- Participates in business development networking activities as a member of the CRE Banking teams.
- Monitors and evaluates work of team against work or project goals and objectives (includes determining what goals/objectives to monitor and evaluate).
Core competencies for the ideal candidate include:
- Solid people leadership experience: ability to build and leverage the capabilities of a high-performing team, as well as business partners across the enterprise. He/she should foster innovation, drive critical decisions, hold business partners accountable, and be able to consistently deliver results.
- Ability to thrive in a highly-matrixed environment: highly collaborative orientation and strong team player who places the best interests of the organization above personal objectives.
- Strong executive communication skills: impeccable written and oral communication credentials, coupled with strategic influencing skills and the ability to drive agreement through intellect, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Clear results orientation: displays an intense execution focus on achieving both short- and long-term goals. He/she should be able to drive and execute an agenda in a fast paced, entrepreneurial and dynamic environment.
- Strong business judgment, leadership and integrity: he/she should be able to make difficult decisions and bring a healthy, aggressive, yet responsible approach to business even in risky or ambiguous situations.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 10 years of Commercial Real Estate lending experience
- At least 5 years of people management experience
- At least 5 years leading geographically dispersed teams
- MBA or Masters' degree in a relevant field is strongly preferred
- 15+ years of Commercial Real Estate lending experience
- 8+ years of experience leading and developing a high-performing team in geographically dispersed locations
- Deep Commercial Real Estate relationships and experience in New York as well as Boston, McLean/DC and Chicago.
- Experience implementing and leveraging Salesforce analytics to drive results
- Experience with a diverse set of CRE products including: Bridge to Agency lending, Secured, Stabilized Term Loans, Secured Construction Loans, Subscription Lines of Credit, Unsecured Entity Level Facilities, Debt Fund Products: (Repo Facilities, Note-on-Note, Senior-Sub Structures, etc.), Agency Warehouse, and Small Balance Term Loan Lending - NY Multifamily