S/he will provide highly specialized expertise to lead the development of investment portfolio strategies and will direct the research, analyses, and monitoring of private debt strategies and/or alternative investments. S/he will also lead effective presentations and regular This position provides strategic leadership, direction, and functional expertise in Alternative Investments within Lincoln's $2B Alternatives portfolio. He/she will research, analyze, and perform due diligence on new investment strategies and managers as well as recommend, monitor, evaluate and report on investment strategies and managers to internal committees. In addition, he/she will contribute to market outlook and strategy, financial planning, and other projects. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to build strong relationships with senior leaders, external portfolio managers, and multiple internal groups in order to provide the optimal outcome for investment activities.
- Primary and secondary lead across sectors in the private equity and hedge fund portfolios
- Primary and secondary lead oversight of investment managers/advisors
- Facilitate strategic dialogue, clear communication, and thought leadership between external managers and the internal investment team.
- Conduct due diligence reviews on current and prospective managers to include: onsite meetings and conference calls with senior personnel; review and analysis of fund documents and information, such as offering memoranda, financial statements, due diligence questionnaires, audit reports, and regulatory reports.
- Execute investment strategies
- Contribute to portfolio construction, investment allocation, and planning process
- Help establish long term investment objectives
- Work closely with internal business units, legal, accounting, operations, and data analytics teams
- Assess suitability and operational risk of asset managers: prepare written reports; and present findings to internal committees
- Liaise with managers to ensure efficient execution and ongoing alignment of interests
- Generate reports and analytics to monitor the ongoing performance of managers and specific investment strategies.
- Contribute to the idea generation process and identify appropriate investment response to key themes, opportunities, and risks in the capital markets broadly
- Undergraduate Degree or 4+ years of comparable work experience; educational concentration in finance, economics, accounting, or a related field is preferred
- CFA, CAIA designations and/or Advanced Degree required
- 12+ years of work experience in an institutional investment role
- Preferred experience as an investor, portfolio manager, and/or research analyst with an area of focus on private equity and hedge funds
- Proven experience in:
- Working knowledge of investment manager operations and best practices across a wide range of strategies and instruments
- Ability to perform relative value analysis of different fund strategies and investment opportunities
- Independent thinker with ability to develop and articulate an independent investment view
- Fundamental equity analysis and corporate finance experience (i.e. capital structure knowledge, fundamental cash flow analysis, accounting concepts, financial statement analysis, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Desire to work in a team-orientated environment
- Ability to multi-task, strong organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Familiar with Bloomberg or FactSet and able to quickly access and customize relevant market data
- Familiar with derivative instruments
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel with experience building financial models and charts
- Proficient in PowerPoint and presentation drafting
- Possesses a bias for action and avoids workplace distractions
- Drives performance targets to completion