General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
This position is responsible for managing the writing, editing, and rewriting of technical documents such as articles, publications, presentations, procedure manuals and related technical publications through professional and technical staff. Consults with management to ensure final documents clearly and effectively communicate technical information and data to appropriate audience(s). Monitors and manages the development of technical writing policies, practices, and standards for the assigned organization(s). Ensures documents are developed in accordance with the requested specifications, including security classification. Coordinates the collection and accumulation of the required technical information and data through identifying and interviewing technical experts, observing processes, and researching and analyzing technical data and publications. Presents final document(s) to management/customer, makes related presentations as required, and may serve as an external spokesperson with internal and external contacts. Participates with management on short and long term planning.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Manages and provides leadership for all activities for the unit(s) including planning and managing technical performance to ensure quality, business, and financial objectives are attained.
* Acts as the primary contact for unit(s) activities, and leads progress review sessions to manage technical, schedule, and cost objectives.
* Manages all aspects of document/media preparation to meet deadlines.
* Ensures final document(s) and media meet requirements and appropriate signatures and security classifications are obtained.
* Controls reproduction, release, distribution, and storage of documents.
* Recommends and implements new and/or modifications to documentation/communication policies and procedures.
* Manages the implementation of annual and long-term technical, schedule, quality, business, and financial objectives for the unit(s). May participate in the development of annual and long-term objectives.
* Manages and actively participates in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of human resources to ensure the availability of the required management, professional, and technical talent.
* Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
* Responsible for ensuring all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations are observed wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
* Responsible for ensuring work is accomplished in a safe manner in accordance with established operating practices and procedures.
* Other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
* Typically requires a bachelor's degree in English, journalism, or a related discipline and eleven or more years of professional technical engineering/scientific writing/editing experience with at least five of those years in a management role.
* Equivalent professional technical writing/editing experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
* Must have a complete understanding of technical writing/editing concepts, principles, and practices including grammar, style, and composition.
* Must have experience communicating with scientists and engineers and interpreting technical data.
* Must also have demonstrated leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, as well as coordinating workloads to meet established milestones.
* Must be able to resolve highly complex management and technical problems and serve as spokesperson on projects.
* Strong communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with others.
* Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours and travel as required.