This position is in the Global Financial Management Systems Directorate (GFMS), Bureau of the Comptroller and Global Financial Services (CGFS). The position will evaluate, review, implement systems requirements, support users of accounting (manual and automated), financial, budgeting and information reporting systems used in connection with international financial operations.
Learn more about this agency
- Coordinates, assists, and supports in the conceptual design of systems that meet identified accounting, financial, and information technological requirements.
- Develops proposals, presents briefings, and takes other actions as necessary to obtain user approval of a design and develop the initial specifications for user training, operating procedures, and other user-support documentation.
- Determines the accounting and financial management requirements for program-oriented financial management systems that interface with the core financial management system (CFMS).
- Assists end-users of automated accounting systems by offering advice and instructions via a user "Help Desk"; developing and maintaining written documentation that includes specific procedures for systems use and explanations of systems logic..
Occasional travel - There is no regular or recurring travel requirement.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Incumbent will be subject to random drug testing.
- One year probationary period, unless excepted by regulation.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
- Verification of employment eligibility in the United States is required.
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
All applicants MUST meet one of the basic qualification requirements described below for this position:
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: A. Applicants must have a degree from an accredited college or university in accounting and/or auditing OR a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting and/or auditing. (The 24 semester hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law);
OR B. Combination of Education and Experience: Have at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND meet 1, 2 or 3 below:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses. (This can include up to 6 hours of business law.)
2. A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor obtained through a written examination.
3. Have at least 4 years of experience in accounting AND completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, (e.g., 15 semester hours) but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement described in paragraph A above, AND (a) have successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, (e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining); AND (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors determined that I have demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A above; AND (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, my education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Note: All applicants MUST submit transcripts as verification of educational requirement OR a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination OR panel recommendation that includes all the requirements as described under Combination of Education and Experience #3 above by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you WILL lose consideration for this position.
IN ADDITION to meeting one of the basic qualifications requirements listed above, the applicant MUST have at least one year of specialized experience that has equipped them with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience using the theories, concepts, principles, and practices of accounting and financial management in order to analyze and resolve complex accounting issues;
- Experience developing and maintaining complex automated systems and subsystems to produce accounting and financial information; and
- Experience presenting findings and recommendations related to accounting systems requirements and deficiencies.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the education requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click on the link for a list of accredited organizations recognized as specializing in interpretation of foreign education credentials.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at or .
If eligible, telework and remote work agreements may be permitted with supervisory approval. Please note that any approved remote work arrangement is subject to the locality pay area of the alternative telework worksite.
If eligible, applicants to this announcement may be referred to other positions in other Bureaus/Offices in the Department that may require a higher security clearance.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION PROGRAM (E-Verify) - U.S. law requires organizations to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States - either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization. This agency utilizes E-Verify to compare information from the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) records to confirm employment eligibility. If the employee's information does not match DHS and/or SSA records, the employee is given an opportunity to resolve the problem. If eligibility cannot be verified, employment will be terminated.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection procedures. Based on your responses to the job-specific self-assessment questions, eligible candidates are placed for selection consideration into one of three pre-defined quality categories as described below:
Highly-qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications for the position, candidates must fully demonstrate proficiency in all major aspects of the position.
Well Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in some, but not all of the major aspects of the position.
Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, applicants must demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, skill and ability of the position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Ability to assess and/or contribute to the development of accounting systems.
- Ability to apply laws and regulations related to accounting procedures.
- Ability to communicate in writing in a manner that is appropriate for a given audience.
- Ability to organize, interpret, and evaluate financial and management data.