7041 - CarMax Shockoe - 140 Virginia Street, Richmond, Virginia, 23219
CarMax, the way your career should be!
CarMax is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with expertise in Networking who will be responsible for implementing highly scalable solutions on the Microsoft Azure Public Cloud and On-Premise platforms. This process includes continuous delivery, optimization, monitoring, Infrastructure design and implementation, release management and supporting the end-to-end release process. As a member of the team, you will work alongside developers and reliability teams to ensure site reliability and all releases seamlessly move
from development through staging and into production. The CarMax Data Network Solutions team is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the on-prem and cloud infrastructure used by the world's largest used car reseller and second largest wholesaler. If you are looking to join a collaborative team where you can create innovative solutions that provide value to our business, your job search ends here.
Order Processing is a group of teams within the Product Organization that are responsible for enabling our customer's car buying experience online and in-store across the 210+ locations at CarMax®. Each of the Order Processing teams operate in an Agile environment and are empowered to Drive What's Possible® and bring fun and innovative ideas to life. We truly see ourselves at the heart of the innovation journey at CarMax®, driving the bottom-line sales of a growing Fortune 500 $15 billion-dollar company.
As part of the Capabilities organization, we build accessible and scalable services that create the foundation for efficiency and innovation, delivering products our associates and customers need. This team leverages .NET Core RESTful APIs and other Azure technologies to enable this critical functionality.
Senior Software Engineer
You will be responsible for driving the design, implementation and support of software, following leading industry patterns and best practices. This position requires effective communication and the ability to efficiently facilitate technical discussions with your team, other engineers and architects, ensuring that our technical solutions follow the CarMax® business direction and architectural vision.
Senior Software Engineers are comfortable with their team's craft and have a passion for knowledge and experience in all languages and technologies within the applications they oversee. Deep involvement is required across the entire cycle of software, from ideation, through conception, UX, code, test, delivery and production support. This position reports to a Technology Manager.
* Strong leader of the team through the entire software development lifecycle
* Champion of industry leading software development practices (e.g. DevOps and SRE practices)
* Proven ability to lead support conference calls and understand/articulate the organizational impact of software problems
* Expert at effectively estimating the time it will take for themselves and others to perform tasks and are able to influence the team's work to be completed within those timeframes
* Expert at identifying tasks and impediments, appropriately and effectively escalates through the appropriate channels
* Strong mentor to others in Azure/.NET Core best practices and design patterns
* Comfortable with providing developmental feedback to others and manager
* Expert in identifying minimal viable technical products that meet business requirements
* Experience in reviewing and mentoring the successful work of others in evaluating the business objectives, developing user requirements and generating technical specifications
* Ability to engage in a critical support situation and effectively, efficiently, and quickly drive to a successful resolution
* Proven experience leveraging existing software, development of reusable components, and elimination of redundancy in designs
* Ensures code of self and others is compliant with security standards
* Understanding of end-to-end system design, from the top to the bottom of the stack
* Complete understanding of the system, including downstream systems, outage impacts, and limitations
* Proven ability to navigate the organization to influence decision makers and win trust
* Proven ability to influence the technical direction of others to successfully meet the business objectives of medium & large projects
* Strong driver of technical consensus within the team and technology organization
* Proven ability to drive through obstacles and time constraints to successfully deliver a project to completion
* Proven ability to deliver solutions through building consensus in both business and technical perspectives
* Facilitates working and code review sessions leveraging multiple techniques
* 4-year degree in IT related course of study
* 10+ years of software development experience
* 5+ years of .NET development experience (.NET CORE preferred)
* 4+ years of experience building and leveraging DevOps capabilities like CI/CD (Azure DevOps/Pipelines preferred)
* 3+ years of Azure/cloud development (PaaS API development preferred)
* Strong oral/written communication, presentation, and organizational skills
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills for driving strategic initiatives through large and diverse organizations.
* Excellent customer service skills.
* Ability to work within multiple work streams at one time
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.