The Gazette in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is seeking a special projects editor responsible for creating products and programs that meet the needs and interests of identified audiences and clients. This role plans, coordinates and edits compelling engaging content for digital and print platforms. The projects this person works on enhances The Gazette brand or helping advertisers in the development of native or vendor-driven stories and publications.
At its best, this role gives an editor the opportunity to bring new ideas to life. Our editor will have some latitude in developing ideas for sections, while directly working to make projects as impactful to the audience as possible.
Our ideal candidate will understand how images, video, text and other elements can be brought together in publications and online to effectively tell stories. You'll be comfortable thinking about the presentation of work and how to bring these elements together. Projects range across topics, and include workforce, construction, travel, health care and more. You'll be comfortable thinking about how to best present content in newspapers, magazines, books and on web sites. Our ideal candidate is comfortable working ahead and planning a variety of projects simultaneously, and adjusting these plans as you move through the project. You'll be based in Cedar Rapids.
Our ideal candidate understands how to reach varied audiences - as audiences will change between projects. You'll develop content plans that reach those audiences and be able to get other journalists, freelancers and clients to see your vision and help execute your ideas.
Our ideal candidate also has basic business skills and understands how to build project proposals with financials and understands how to manage margins throughout the project
You'll need strong planning and organizational skills and should be comfortable working with clients and feel confident in developing plans that help them meet their objectives and will also be relentless in pursuing ideas new to the region.
Our news operation is a quality-driven media organization that combines digital, print and video for The Gazette and TheGazette.com and associated sites. Our company has a strong tradition of being independent and is 100% employee-owned. The majority of our news team is focused on enterprise reporting and strives to make our community - and state - better. While we're focused in Cedar Rapids -- Iowa's second-largest city - we have bureaus in Des Moines and Iowa City, which is home to the University of Iowa. The region is rich with things to do outside of work hours.
Qualifications & requirements:
- Ideal candidate will understand how to bring photo, video, audio and text to tell impactful stories on different mediums.
- Strong project management skills to convey vision and collaborate with clients, writers, visual journalists both in and outside of the organization.
- Should be comfortable both writing and editing text.
- Professional attitude, ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff and customers is important.
- Should have strong social media skills, problem solving skills and able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related field and 5-plus years' related experience; or in the absence of a bachelor's degree 5-plus years related experience.
- Understanding of journalism ethics and communication law is required.
- This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
Pre-Employment drug screen required. EOE