The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB) is a nationally recognized nonprofit developer, owner, and manager of affordable and mixed-income residential and commercial properties. Founded in 1964, TCB has developed over 25,000 residential units as well as office and retail properties and owns or manages over 11,000 rental units nationally. TCB strategic plan calls for continued growth in existing markets of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and the District of Columbia and expansion of our real estate development capacity, community life engagement and resident resource building, financial strength, and property management, all guided by our mission to build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes can fulfill their full potential.
Under the direction of the Community Manager, the Service Maintenance Manager (SMM) is responsible for all the physical operations of the community, particularly the preservation and maintenance of the asset, preparation of market ready homes and providing ongoing service to the residents. The SMM promotes consistent adherence to TCB standard operating policies and the employee handbook ensuring that the mission of The Community Builders is reflected by the site team. A primary role of the SMM is to deliver leadership, mentoring and direction to enhance the skills of employees and foster a collaborative, positive work environment in accordance with the policies, procedures and operating budget, increasing NOI and cash flow and providing a quality living environment for all residents.
- Review and analysis of monthly financial statements with the Community Manager to enhance knowledge, create efficiencies and develop plans to meet or exceed budget goals.
- Assure compliance with The Community Builders policies and procedures as they pertain to financial monitoring controls (i.e., purchase orders, turn costs, Replacement/Reserve withdrawal requests, bids & contracts), all regulatory requirements and procedures in assuring accuracy and compliance in a timely manner.
- Provide leadership and pre-audit tactics for agency audits and inspections, meetings with residents and REAC inspections. Assure ongoing preparation for annual HUD REAC, Investor, and other lender inspectors. Supervise and direct on-site team members.
- Recruit, select, train, coach, manage and motivate team members. Provide timely feedback regarding performance. Responsible for scheduling maintenance work and submittal of time sheets for site staff.
- Deliver frequent coaching and verbal feedback, complete written performance evaluations for all maintenance members in accordance with company guidelines and recommend compensation and promotions.
- Scheduling of turns to meet 5 - 7 day process. Daily inspections of team and vendor work in apartment turns. Identify maintenance issues and schedule work needed as a result of those inspections.
- Oversee and schedule vendors as needed for preparation and completion of vacant units to be market ready within company guidelines.
- Effectively manage and schedule the dispatching, verification, and completion of work orders in Yardi, work orders, turnovers, preventative maintenance items and special projects, in a timely manner and sensitive to residents. Review completed work orders, record comments and make notations of any damage charges periodically as a form of quality control.
- To be safety minded and knowledgeable of OSHA regulations and environmental hazards associated with products used in the work of the maintenance department, and of any hazards known or found to be present on the property and maintain a safe environment for residents, staff and visitors.
- Manage all aspects of inventory including stocking, and inventorying of supplies and materials. to ensure site is meeting monthly and yearly budget goals pertaining to the maintenance operations.
- Assist procurement and performance for all services relating to maintenance including, but not limited to, vendor service and general contracts, such as waste disposal, preventative maintenance, pest management, capital projects and repairs of the physical plant, site and all associated equipment in a safe and workmanlike manner.
- Manage and plan for all preventative maintenance needs of the property and maintain reports and logs relative to replacement and maintenance of all HVAC equipment, appliances, vehicles, large power tools and equipment.
- Be aware, determine cost and track of anticipated capital improvements such as carpet, asphalt, HVAC, hazard and roofing repair and replacement.
- Manage As-Built drawings, Warranty Records, Operations and Maintenance Manual; and product documentation including warranty, manufacturer, and contractor contacts.
- Prepare and manage logs and inspection reports for the Preventative maintenance Plan which includes: boiler pressures and temperature, hallway graffiti, elevators, life safety, emergency lighting, snow logs, stair condition, outside inspections and certifications, etc.
- Manage shop and maintenance garage / storage areas for organization, inventory and safety compliance.
- Coordination of any notices that need to go out to residents (Interruption of utilities for emergency scheduled work, annual inspections, REAC inspections) allowing 48 hours to residents when possible.
- Set example for other Service Staff in matters of dress, appearance and demeanor.
- Available for 24-hour emergencies and maintenance on-call rotation.
- Other duties that arise may be assigned.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50 percent of the time.
- Commutable radius to property
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder to service the lights and ceiling fans.
- Frequently moves equipment weighing up to 50 pounds across sites.
- Constantly works in outdoor weather conditions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Yardi or other industry software experience required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Knowledge of Federal Fair Housing Laws & Guidelines a plus
- Excellent Customer Service skills required
- Bilingual a plus
- Leadership skills and understanding of effective management of personal development and career paths for all employees desired
- Ability to forecast out 5 years for capital needs.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. 5 years of progressive responsibility in property management, hospitality or retail experience required.
- 3+ years of multi-site, multi-family multi-property type operational management experience, preferably with a portfolio of properties that contain a mix of residential property types or a comparable role in hotel/resort/retail management.
- Experience in training, budget development and managing expenses; bid and managing vendors, service and general building contractors are essential skills.
- One or more industry-Trade certifications/Degrees (NAHMS, CAMT, OSHA, HVAC, ETC) required.
- Willingness to get any required certification(s) within 6 months of hiring to meet any specific site/area needs.
- Knowledge of all hand and power tools, cleaning supplies, and protective equipment.
The Community Builders is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.