We are searching for a Senior Software Developer with Linux and Cloud experience to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in North Bethesda, MD. NCBI is the world's premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health - at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms (Node, Python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to
This is a full-time position with full benefits. You will start out working remotely until we beat Covid. We are looking for those IT professionals that enjoy having a passion for what they do and want to work for an organization that gives back to the community. That's what a position at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will give you is an opportunity to contribute to the betterment of America's public health system. Be on the cutting edge as discoveries are made to improve your countries health!
Duties & Responsibilities
The Senior Software Developer with Linux and Cloud platform experience will work on solutions to support continued development of NCBI's dbGaP database. This database is the world premier archive of assembled and annotated sequence data and is a part of international collaboration that includes archives in Europe and Japan. SeqDB makes biological sequence data submitted by the scientific community available to researchers worldwide, enhancing reproducibility and allowing for new discoveries. SeqDB is a large resource, comprised of over 1.6 billion records and 6 trillion DNA basepairs, and handles requests at rates of up to 50,000/second. The future development of SeqDB will involve re-architecting of the backend sequence databases, including exploration of Cloud-based strategies for sequence access. NCBI - National Center for Biotechnology Information is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI serves over 4 million daily users in search of clinical, genetic and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health and is the world's top 3 most-visited site in the science category.
The Senior Software Developer with Linux and Cloud experience will be responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of NCBI's dbGaP database and bioinformatics pipelines
- Work with a diverse group of Scientists, Bioinformaticians and other Developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms and solutions for data storage and delivery
- Facilitate development of cloud-ready tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field
- Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team
- Provide expertise to assist other developers in design and development of new solutions
- 5+ years of experience handling large amounts of data or working in a distributed computing environment
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies:
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
- GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
- Proficiency in at least one of programming languages: Java, C, C++
- Fluency in some scripting languages such as BASH, csh, Perl, or Python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
- Solid communication skills both oral and written
- Please be aware that samples of code will be asked for
- Experience with working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with no-SQL databases such as Cassandra
- Experience with open source projects and involvement in open source communities such as GitHub, etc.
- Experience managing production workflow of an online public database
- Experience with RESTful API design
- Adept at Agile techniques and practices
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program, and membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.