Reporting to the Informatics & Data Infrastructure team in the Technology Sciences department, the Senior / Principal Infrastructure Engineer will lead and design Sana's computational infrastructure platform for Computational Engineering, Computational Biology and Data Infrastructure teams. The successful candidate will balance operational execution with building a platform of services to support computational, analytics and data operations. Candidate will implement cloud infrastructure across the organization and champion its value to internal stakeholders across the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Architect Sana's research computing infrastructure platform, supporting Computational Biology, Computational Engineering and Data Infrastructure in a robust, scalable and secure manner.
- Build and deploy infrastructure in AWS, treating infrastructure as code using tools like Packer, Terraform, Cloud Formation, Ansible, and GitLab CI.
- Work closely with Computational Engineering teams in all phases of the SDLC to identify areas for improvement and remove bottlenecks.
- Work closely with Computational Biology to build a platform for scalable and reproducible scientific computing.
- Drive architectural and technical decisions to help improve the quality of our software and infrastructure.
- Lead the adoption and development of industry best-practices on DevOps activities, including automated deployment, incident management, monitoring, alerting, cloud security, continuous integration, backups and resiliency.
- Design solutions that are practical, flexible, scalable, reusable, strategic and are achieved through the application of industry proven architectural principles, standards, and governance.
- Demonstrate Sana's core values and the attributes that support these core values (Lead from every seat, Thrive as a team, Make it happen).
- PhD in scientific/technical discipline w 8+ yrs experience in academia research and/or industry. BA or MS plus 10+ yrs or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience in communicating infrastructure strategy at varying levels of detail across the organization.
- Expertise with Infrastructure-as-code deployment (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, Packer) and configuration management (e.g. Ansible, Chef) tools.
- Experience implementing CI/CD pipelines (GitLab, Jenkins) that enable deployment of infrastructure.
- Experience managing scalable compute infrastructure in the cloud.
- Strong experience with Linux system administration, tool development (Python, Bash), and file sharing infrastructure (SMB/CIFS, NFS).
- Experience with log collection and analysis tools (e.g. CloudWatch, Splunk, Kibana)
- Experience with container technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker, Fargate, ECS and Helm)
- Must be highly organized and have the ability to manage multiple initiatives with many stakeholders.
- Proven track-record to collaborate effectively in a cross-functional matrix environment and lead through influence across functional and organizational lines
- Strong analytical, problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Proven track-record adapting to increasing scope and complexity of work brought on by growth/change and managing through change and ambiguity
- Ability to engage in crucial conversations - providing and receiving feedback
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- AWS Certification(s) such as Solutions Architect Pro, DevOps Engineer Pro, SysOps Admin, Developer Associate.
- Familiarity with additional computational tools/frameworks a plus (Bioconductor, Quilt, Hail/SPARK)
- Life science experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
The Company is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. We cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short and long term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.