Job DescriptionMott MacDonald is a leading provider of dam engineering services with a growing portfolio of projects worldwide. Dam engineering has been a fundamental part of our business since the 1920s when we designed and delivered one of the biggest projects of its day, the heightening of the Aswan dam in Egypt. Throughout our history we have been engaged in the design, construction and maintenance of dams and barrages, from diversion weirs to hydropower dams as well as associated river engineering, tunnels and power plants and have delivered reservoir and hydropower projects in 45 countries worldwide. We have a strong global professional practice network made up of engineers and specialists experienced in dams, irrigation, potable and industrial water supply schemes, hydroelectric generation, mining, flood control and groundwater recharge schemes.
Mott MacDonald is actively growing its dams and levees practice in North America. We are currently
seeking a dams and rivers principal engineer for our West USA region. This position will be based at one of our offices in the California Bay Area. You will be tasked with supporting opportunities and project execution of dam related projects in our water and energy sectors. The position offers great potential for professional growth and the opportunity to collaborate with our water resources, geotechnical, energy and structural professionals on dam and levee-related projects. The qualified candidate must have strong design and project management experience and ability to build client relationships, support business development and oversee project execution.
This position will require interaction with clients and the ability to manage and work with other Mott MacDonald professionals. The role will require help in the coordination of Mott MacDonalds supporting technical disciplines including water resources, geotechnical, environmental, risk management, structural and permitting services; and, specialty sub-consultants.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Interacting with clients and regulatory agencies.
- Client contact and business development.
- Executing project management and/or project control duties including managing and tracking budgets, invoicing, and assessing staffing requirements.
- Preparing technical and cost proposals.
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with team members, clients, and contractors.
- Management or support to projects that may include:
- Dam and/or levee safety related projects including structures within the purview of the DSOD and/or FERC regulations,
- Geotechnical investigations including test borings, instrumentation systems, and evaluation of monitoring and testing data.
- Data analysis, organization, and interpretation in support of dam/levee design, and inspection, evaluation, and rehabilitation projects,
- Geotechnical calculations including seepage and slope stability analyses, toe drain and filter designs, and gravity dam stability analyses
- Structural investigations and condition assessments
- Hydraulic and water impoundment and flood routing analysis and spillway modelling and design
- Construction management
- Preparation of written reports and coordination with federal, state and local water agencies.
- Preparation of construction documents, plans and technical specifications, and
- Preparation of project schedules, quantity estimates, and costing.
Candidate SpecificationWe invite applications from candidates with the following experience:
- BS in Civil Engineering is required. Masters Degree or PhD is a plus.
- Professional Engineer licensed in CA is required with the ability to obtain a professional engineering licenses in other states, as required.
- An ideal candidate will have at least 15-20 years of experience related to the tasks described above.
- Ability to work well within a project team is required.
- Direct experience working on projects that involve the Division of Safety of Dams (DSOD) of the California Department of Water Resources would be a plus.
- Proven experience with the development of technical work products including design and inspection reports, permit applications, and construction documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to speak publicly.
- High energy communication, presentation and meeting facilitation skills.
- Solid project financial management skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency are all required competencies.
- Experience in providing technical and project leadership to staff-level or junior engineers.
- Experience in leading engineering services during construction
- Experience supporting the construction management function
- Occasional out-of-town travel will be required.
Job ProfileHere at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organization, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We value the diversity of our staff and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the chance to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.