Job Title: Physician Office Assistant Job Code: 880258
Immediate Supervisor: Physician Services Manager Status: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT FUNCTION/JOB OVERVIEW
Responsible for patient reception, registration, and scheduling in the physician outpatient clinic. Responsible for appointment management and coordination for all patient registration activities to assure efficient operations of the outpatient clinic and physician schedule. This includes: setup and coordination of patient appointments seen in the clinic, patient referrals for services to outside clinicians/hospitals, relaying internal requests for Physiatrist consults, Hospitalist consults, Optometry consults, and other specialty consults as designated by Madonna. Maintains appropriate data tracking steps for key factors such as appointment cancellation/no-show trends, consultation frequency, and physician administrative hours. Responsible for supporting billing functions of Physician Services by verifying outpatientsâ insurance and assuring all registration and billing information is accurately recorded and forwarded to the billing department. Job demands strict confidentiality and attention to details schedule changes and conflict. Work will be performed in an ethical and legal manner following organizational policies, processes, protocols and procedures . Responsible for quality service delivery and internal/external customer relations for Madonna as a whole, including upholding the mission and values for the department and facility.
- Coordinate and compile information as it relates to the scheduling of physician appointments with patients. Document consulting health care provider and reason for referral as appropriate. Document area of body to study and symptoms for diagnostic studies.
- Coordinate and compile information as it relates to the scheduling of physician administrative meetings.
- Incorporate changes in patient needs to assure flexibility of system delivery (such as appointment time changes, cancellations, referrals).
- Receive inpatient consult orders from the Sunrise Clinical System and facilitate/schedule accordingly.
- Schedule patient for appointments to internal/external referral sources. To include: diagnostic, procedural, therapy and consultation.
- Coordinate collection of patient co-payments and referrals with billing staff.
- Develop an ABN for services to be determined as non-covered and get to patient financial and appropriate patient care areas to allow that coordination can be made with patient and/or their family before being seen.
- Coordinate, compile, compute, scan and copy patient information in a timely manner to provide departmental services in accountability.
- Process departmental and physician mail to assure a timely response.
- Verify primary and secondary payor information.
- Receive telephone calls, record messages accurately and direct to appropriate staff.
- Prepare new patient records and create new patient files prior to initial appointment, fill out known patient data on all forms, request a copy of medical records and reports, request radiology readings, and confirm Workersâ Compensation authorizations needed by Work Comp Coordinator. Document extremities to study and symptoms/diagnoses to address during EMG studies.
- Prepare established patient information prior to appointments, fill out known patient data on all forms, request results of studies ordered last visit, and request copies of radiology readings and updates from therapists.
- In coordination with Health Information Management staff, setup and maintain the medical records for active patients and purge medical records for retention at Madonna. Enter notes or make corrections on records, review for completeness and accuracy. Record and maintain laboratory, x-ray and ECG data on patientsâ records. File/scan all correspondence and medical records.
- Pull and file all chart requests from HIM with assistance of clinical medical staff as needed.
- Assists with data collection for special projects as requested.
- Document all activities related to patient care, patient contact and medical record management in the chart and/or electronic record.
- Return films to originating sources as required.
- Maintain fax/copier, scanner, computer repairs and supplies.
- Maintain waiting room area.
- Order supplies needed.
- Greet visitors and clients, in a hospitable manner to determine specific needs, refer to proper staff to ensure quality service delivery.
- Serve all customers in person or on the telephone to assure quality service delivery.
- Communicate effectively with internal/external customers.
- Keep aware of what patients are present and waiting, and assist Medical Assistant in reducing wait time.
- Communicate with supervisor and staff physicians to promote open communication.
- Follow instruction from supervisor to perform other functions as assigned in order to achieve the goals within the department.
- Collaborates with other clinic staff which contributes to the development of a positive team environment and capitalizes on the strengths of all team members to deliver successful outcomes.
- Independently operate personal computer to enter and retrieve data, re: physician and patient schedules, and other departmental communications necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- Independently utilize scheduling software and other software as needed to record and adjust schedules and conduct necessary communication with other departments.
- Operate telephone to receive and transfer calls and perform other telephone functions.
- Operate photocopy, scanner and fax machines in order to copy, retain or distribute essential information.
- Maintain and ensure a safe environment for the department. Handles and operates all necessary equipment and performs required duties according to established safety standards to maintain compliance with regulations and prevent injury.
- This position is performed 95 % indoors. Work activities occur in offices, meeting rooms and outpatient/physician services area. Will be required to relay mail and other paper documents between clinic, hospital and HIM building on campus..Could be exposed to inclement weather.
- Sedentary work - Frequent sitting and standing, reaching, handling and fingering. Occasional walking, stooping, lifting/carrying 10 to 25 pounds.
- Frequent handling of papers, pens, operating computer, telephone, photocopy and fax machine, doing simple grasping.
- Frequently talking and hearing ordinary tones for conversational speech in person or on the telephone.
- Near acuity and accommodation are required for reviewing written and printed material, as well as continuous viewing/reading computer screens.
- Stress factors include frequent repetition and continuous interruptions.
- May be exposed to biohazardous materials.
- Continually being alert to reading written or hearing verbal information and to shifting priorities.
EDUCATION: High school equivalency with one (1) year post high school education required. Will consider additional work experience in lieu of post high school education.
EXPERIENCE: One year experience in related area such as unit secretary, CNA, or medical record assistant required.
SKILLS: Must have excellent customer service and organizational skills. Must have ability to operate standard office machines, personal computer and knowledge of basic math. Knowledge of medical terminology is required. Must be able to work in fast paced, demanding situations without adverse reaction and be able to interact in a positive manner with customers and staff.
Background checking is conducted on applicants for this position with the agencies as required by Nebraska State regulations in addition to any other agencies as determined by Madonna. Applicants must sign authorization forms (when required by the agency) to release information to Madonna.