We are committed to providing under served and under privileged people with access to great education! The goal of our team is to update our platform to support the greater cause. If you are available for 100% remote work and are a with expertise in OpenShift technology - please inquire about this position!
The Linux OpenShift Engineer is responsible for building and maintaining the integrity, security, maintenance, optimization and performance of the company Linux servers, containers and web services through Red Hat OpenShift, Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers, and Kubernetes. Experience with this and high availability / high volume, services / sites is a must to ensure they are operating at peak efficiency at all times.
This position requires an individual with interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, problem-solving expertise and the ability to learn our software and hardware systems. The position requires a collaborative individual who is comfortable working on the frontlines of supporting technology in a fast-changing corporate environment. In addition, should have a strong technical understanding of technology, including the various hardware, software and networking systems being supported.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Strong experience with high availability and troubleshooting of Red Hat OpenShift (private cloud/on prem), Kubernetes, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
- Experience with Ansible, SELinux
- Solid understanding of automation principles and scripting/programming experience using frameworks such as Python and Node.js
- Experience with DevOps, Bamboo (build/maintain CI/CD pipelines), git/version control
- Experience in Linux database installation, upgrades and maintenance (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Experience managing VMWare (VxRails) environment resources (eg: hosts, networking, storage, image management)
- Experience with VMWare automation through Ansible
- Experience with centralized logging solutions like Solarwinds / AppOptics
- Strong understanding of Security, Monitoring and Performance aspects of container platform and application architectures
- Strong experience with TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP specification (methods, headers, response codes), configuring WWW servers (Apache, NGINX, HAProxy)
- Experience with Linux patch & package management, security, server hardening, etc.
- Troubleshooting Linux Server Hardware and Operating system related issues
- Experience in Server Management (Server build/ migration, etc.)
- Ability to multi-task; working on multiple project teams and wearing multiple hats is very common
- Leader with intellectual curiosity and an ability to self-manage
- Quick learner and able to adapt to new technologies and teams quickly
- Will work closely with Application Development, Network, Security, IBMi, Linux, and Windows engineering teams
- Partner with Engineers, Administrators, Architects, and Developers to plan and implement applications to support business requirements.
- Utilize best practices and provide recommendations to improve application and system performance required to meet maximum uptime
- Define, track, create and maintain system and configuration documents, knowledge bases, and standards.
- Cross train, knowledge transfer, workload share with team
- Able to learn new technologies as needed and open to changing technological direction as required by the team for new projects and initiatives
- Experience with PCI compliance / audits / remediating vulnerability scan items
- Provide backup services to the IT team when others are unavailable
- Learn the AFF software systems and be able to assist in troubleshooting software issues as needed
- Participate in on call duties
- Flexibility to adjust your schedule to meet business support days/hours as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Technical Skills
- 8+ years experience with Red Hat OpenShift (private cloud/on prem), Kubernetes, Containers in large production environments
- 7+ years experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux server management and design
- 7+ years experience creating/managing high availability/high volume web services/sites
- 6+ years experience with SELinux
- Experience with DevOps, CI/CD
Essential Analytical Skills
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently
- Experience working with a formal change control process
- Willingness to adhere to a standard global process model
- Ability to effectively work in a global team; a team player
- Self-starter with the ability to independently resolve issues and deliver results
- One or more Linux certifications (Linux+, LPIC-1/2/3, RHCSA, RHCE, Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Administration, Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Application Development, etc.)
- Experience with Red Hat OpenShift (private cloud/on prem), Kubernetes, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, VMWare (VxRails), Ansible, and container technologies
- Previous development experience a plus