Mainframe Services Virtual Platform Engineer
Looking for an Mainframe Services Virtual Platform Engineer with 5 to 10 years RedHat Linux with IBM Z and z/VM.
The Mainframe Services Virtual Platform Engineer provides technical support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux on IBM Z and z/VM.
- Participating in design, development and implementation of systems engineering activities, to include operating system technical support, systems programming and data center capabilities
- Responsible for components of complex engineering and/or analytical tasks and activities
- Serving as a seasoned/proficient technical resource; providing tech knowledge and capabilities as team member and individual contributor
- Influencing and directing activities of a team related to special initiatives or operations
- Providing problem determination and resolution, installing and updating newly developed software to assigned systems
- Responsible for the operating system and associated subsystems
- Providing system-level support of multi-user operating systems, hardware and software tools, including installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of these systems
- Identifying alternatives for optimizing computer resources.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions
- Collecting information to analyze and evaluate existing or proposed systems
- Researching, planning, installing, configuring, troubleshooting, maintaining and upgrading hardware and software interfaces with the operating system
- Working as a team member with other technical staff, such as networking and storage, to ensure connectivity and compatibility between systems.
- Writing and maintaining system documentation
- Matching current technology with the needs of the company
Required Job Skills:
- 7- 10 years in Information Technology
- 5 years Linux engineering experience
- Experience with building packages
- Experience with Bash and other Scripting
- Knowledge of IBM Mainframe technologies including z/VM
- Good communication skills both written and oral are required as the individual must interface with application developers, support teams, software vendors and management staff
Desired Job Skills:
- 5 - 10 years Red Hat Enterprise Linux engineering experience
- IBM z/VM Mainframe systems programmer experience
- REXX, TCPIP, Computer Associates products, Web-Interfaces
- Experience with building Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) packages
- Experience or familiarity with Ansible, OpenShift, Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence, and Artifactory
- Information Technology degree from an accredited university
- Leads and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of complex system engineering activities involving cross-functional technical support, systems programming and data center capabilities.
- Responsible for components of highly complex engineering and/or analytical tasks and activities.
- Establishes input/output processes and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility, coordination of subsystems design, and integration of total system.
- Viewed as a technology subject matter expert; able to provide and communicate complex technology solutions across differing audiences including technical, managerial, business executives, and/or vendors.
- Will have responsibility for multiple, complex projects; will direct activities of teams related to special initiatives or operations and may have direct reports.
- Leads the resolution process for complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criterion for obtaining results.
- Information Technology degree and/or technology certifications preferred or substantial equivalent experience.
- Typically 7-10 years of IT experience.