Prestigous BioTech company seeks a Senior Patent/Contracts Attorney with the experience to address a full scope of biotechnology issues including preparing patent applications for both domestic and international filing, and experience in contract drafting from negotiation to full execution.
In this role, you will be responsible for all legal contracts, patent and IP initiatives and head a small motivated team within the larger organization.
Roles & Responsibility
- Prepare and prosecute US patent applications on a broad selection of inventions in the biotech areas, especially in molecular biology, small molecules, organic chemistry and immunology.
- Work closely with scientific, and marketing leadership by providing effective intellectual property counsel.
- Provide patentability, non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
- Provide general oversight in patent appeals, reissues, and reexaminations with outside counsel.
- Communicate with foreign associates regarding the prosecution of local applications and patent issues.
- Work on a variety of contracts and agreements such as real estate, regulatory filings, licensing, Medicaid, HIPPA and any and all contracts/agreements which includes analyses and responses to complex inquiries concerning contract obligations.
- Analyze, review, and track contracts both in process and relative to on-going contractual obligations once contracts have been fully executed.
- Combine legal and technical knowledge to
- Qualified US Patent Attorney with a JD.
- Ph.D. in molecular biology or related scientific field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of in-house and/or law firm experience as a patent attorney and experience with a research-focused biotech or pharmaceutical company
- Ability to negotiate and draft agreements for a research-focused biotechnology or pharmaceutical company.
- Experience in drafting and prosecuting domestic and international patent applications, as well as experience relating to freedom-to-operate, patent validity, and non-infringement analyses.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable regulatory and compliance requirements in the areas of biotechnology/life sciences/clinical laboratories.
- Experience in identifying and addressing legal issues on an international level, such as Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, anti-bribery, anti-kickback, anti-slavery, privacy (GDPR et al.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and independent thinker, with aptitude to work transparently and take accountability.
- Solid problem-solving and analytical ability
- Global experience a plus.