Category: Manufacturing and Production
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Clearance Type: None
Telecommute: No -Teleworking not available for this position
Shift: 1st Shift
Travel Required: No
Positions Available: 1
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems in Elkridge, Maryland is seeking a Lead Machinist for our Lifecycle Sustainment Operations (LCSO) Business Area. The Lead Machinist will coordinate, develop and lead multiple projects of a complex nature requiring various machining, sheet metal, or unit/system assembly necessary to produce new product or to repair legacy product. He/she will plan, layout, coordinate, and perform all mechanical assembly operations necessary to support LCSO operations as well as field sites and at other ES manufacturing facilities as required; and improvise and fabricate such tooling as jigs, fixtures, and special tools to support all in house repairs and the manufacture of post-production spares. • Coordinate, plan and lead any machining or sheet-metal and assembly operations necessary to produce complete units. Work from written information such as drawings, sketches and engineering change notices, and frequently, from verbal information.
• Direct assembly resources in the most cost efficient manner, coordinating with customer and Business Operations personnel to optimize cost performance. Provide customer and management with feeder shop status reports showing percent complete and estimated completion dates.
• Work to precision tolerances without benefit of fixtures or jigs, machining to difficult interrelated dimensions. Check work for compliance to drawing specifications.
• Sketch and improvise any necessary holding or aligning fixtures or tooling.
• Perform sub-assembly and complete final assembly operations such as fitting, aligning and adjusting to make unit complete and to obtain proper mechanical operation.
• Analyze and evaluate mechanical assembly and machining operations utilizing knowledge and experience to resolve problems.
• Lead lower-classified personnel in machining, sheet-metal and mechanical assembly tasks providing day-to-day work instructions, assistance in problem resolution and training to enhance skills development.
• Work with engineers on design problems in developing units and in making design changes which will improve performance of unit. Recommend and implement design changes.
• Work with Business Operations in quoting new and follow-on work using experience and knowledge of mechanical fabrication processes.
• Observe all safe practices guidelines at all times; maintain equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition. Report safety problems to supervision whenever observed. Maintain a copy of the appropriate Key Point Card(s) for each assignment.
• Maintain all skill and training certifications appropriate to this position and as directed by management. The Lead Machinist will have frequent contact with:
**technical employees to provide information on status of projects including problems encountered and their effect on cost, schedule or material requirements;
**lower-classified mechanical fabricators to provide explanation concerning processing materials and assembly of prototype models;
**engineers to discuss problems concerning the manufacture of complex models and to assist in the development of units and making changes;
**customers to ensure cost and schedule requirements are met;
**and Quality Assurance to ensure the highest quality of work and proper documentation. MANUMS
**High School diploma or GED and 6 years of additional relevant education and/or experience
**At least 4 years of experience as a Machinist
**Experience quoting hours required to complete projects Preferred Qualifications:
**10 years of experience as a Machinist
**Experience leading projects
**Experience with Mastercam and Teamcenter
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.