Hiring Manager: Kevin David Brown
Recruiter: Subha Mohan
Grade Level: GRADE 42
The Global Hosting Compute & Storage Service Design team at CDK Global is responsible for designing relevant, frictionless and watertight infrastructure Services for the Compute/Hypervisor, SAN/storage, backup/data protection, and Operating System portfolio of services provided within our global data centre and cloud locations.
We are currently seeking a backup engineering lead to help define and design a footprint of backup services & technologies located across more than a dozen different global geographies.
Backup technologies include Veritas Netbackup, EMC Data Domains, Rubrik, Redgate SQL Backup and native OS solutions.
Operating environments include AIX LPARs, Linux/Windows bare metal servers, iSeries, and Windows/Linux virtual environments under ESX.
This is an opportunity to lead a core part of our global infrastructure through generation of recommendations and thought leadership. As the service owner you will be accountable for architecture, continual improvement, cost and vendor management, which will ultimately lead us towards providing a highly available, reliable, serviceable, secure & efficient environment for our Internal and external customers.
This is a senior lead role reporting to the Director of Compute & Storage Service Design.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Be the design authority and company SME for the global backup and recovery environments.
- Be project orientated in your approach, whilst keeping a keen eye on standards, next generation architecture, solution improvements and cost analysis.
- Advise on technology trends and standards.
- Guide technical staff on assignments to achieve appropriate outcome and deliverables.
- Drive projects and initiatives for the backup engineers to deliver against.
- Provide support and analysis of complex problems. Provide 3rd level support as required. Provide mentorship to engineers and support staff.
- Vendor and product analysis/selection. Possess good commercial awareness, with the ability to understand supplier proposals and promote cost effective solutions.
- Ensure operating standards and procedures are defined and adhered to by others.
- Identify opportunities for infrastructure and process improvements.
- Deliver technology evaluations, Proof of concepts, and solution proposals.
- Define and deliver on capacity planning analysis and monthly reporting.
- As the service/technology owner, work with the Service Transitional and Service Operations teams to deliver well defined and adhered to solutions and process.
- Function as a liaison between infrastructure teams and other teams within the company, which may include direct or indirect contact with our customers.
- Any and all additional job duties as defined by hosting management.
- Has 7+ years' experience, having held a senior technical level position for at least 2 of those.
- Not only should the candidate have extensive experience of backup technologies, they should also be able to demonstrate & articulate the needs to the business of rigorous backup and recovery processes and Disaster Recovery principals.
- Given the importance of the backup, recovery and availability needs of customer data, the candidate should be aware of the processes and rigor required to ensure data availability during normal operations, High Availability failovers and Disaster Recovery events.
- With a significant on-prem and cloud environments, candidates should have an in-depth understanding of commercial backup offerings of the major vendors. For example Rubrik or Veritas Netbackup
- Have experience of providing data protection for databases such as SQL Server, Oracle and PostgreSQL.
- Be able to demonstrate architectural and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills, being able to articulate their ideas and thoughts to senior management. Demonstrate interpersonal and negotiating skills, being able to influence internal & external stakeholders to achieve results.
- Has experience in creating processes and procedural documentation.
- Demonstrates exceptional problem solving skills.
- Providing in-depth investigations and root cause analysis of incidents and outages
- Provide strategic direction and ensure the delivery of technical based projects
- As experience of deploying new platforms and improvements to existing ones
- Designing complex solutions and providing architectural recommendations
- Have a flexible approach to your working hours whilst part of a global organisation. Work effectively with all levels of company staff; must be a self-starter, and work well in a team environment.
- Keen to learn and develop new skills as part of continual self-development.
- Knowledge of hosting/SaaS/ASP environments. Experience of large scale multi location data centre environments.
Desirable skills/Abilities (but not essential):
- Have a working knowledge of data protection practices such as GDPR & CCPA
- Understand the tiers of long term archive storage solutions available, both within the Data Centre and the major cloud providers.
- The role is aligned to ITIL Service Design, so experience of being responsible of these deliverables in a design, build, run organisational structure would be advantageous.
- Develop and maintain solution roadmaps.
- Has experience of solution cost management.
- Having experience of hybrid compute environments is highly beneficial, together with an understanding of AWS offerings.
- Have been involved in defining backup/recovery processes, as well as generating supporting collateral against audit requirements.
Note: Thsi Req is created help in teh application pool. If selected you will be moved through original hiring req.
CDK Global knows you have passions outside of work. You have family, friends, sporting events, and lots of things going on. That's why we offer a comprehensive benefits package to not only take care of you but your family as well. All of our benefits are effective the first day of employment including 401K matching, paid time off to re-energize, donate your time to volunteer in your community, and tuition reimbursement to name a few.
At CDK, we pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce. We value and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals and the different perspectives they provide. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.