Would you take pride in developing software that will be used by US military personnel to achieve their missions Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance, and Targeting?
Do you want to work on a team researching and developing innovative ways to produce impactful information from many different types of sensors and sources of data?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative software developer to help us design, build, test, assess, and field the next generation of ISRT and Counter-ISRT capabilities for the US military. Our technical team applies diverse disciplines such as sensor and data fusion, signal and image processing, operations research, applied physics, and artificial intelligence to build systems that automatically or autonomously orchestrate sensors, process data into information, and make intelligent inferences and predictions about complex threats and environments. Our work enables the US military to neutralize a wider variety of serious threats from safer distances than they could otherwise accomplish; improves the safety, survivability, and effectiveness of US air, naval, and ground forces; and disrupts the ability of potential adversaries to threaten our forces.
As a Software Developer for ISRT Scientific Applications ...
- Your primary responsibility will be to contribute to teams implementing prototype and deployable software applications that realize advanced ISRT capabilities.
- You will contribute to teams developing software applications that implement new techniques in signal processing, image processing, multi-sensor data fusion, and multi-sensor resource optimization.
- You will contribute to teams developing new simulation capabilities and analytical tools.
- You will contribute to teams developing user interfaces, visualizations, and network/web services.
- You will contribute to field tests and experiments, including planning, execution, and analysis of results.
- You will document and present your work product to project leads, sponsors, and technical workshops and conferences.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or other related field.
- Have at least one year of work experience, or significant internship experience, in a relevant technical field.
- Have skills and experience developing scientific and engineering applications in programming languages such as C , Java, MATLAB, and Python and in Linux environments.
- Have strong inter-personal and written communications skills.
- Have the ability to work and collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Have the ability to multi-task, support multiple, concurrent projects, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Are willing and able to work a portion of the time in secure, closed areas and travel occasionally to government sites and contractor facilities (local and non-local).
- Are able to obtain a TS/SCI-level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Master's degree in computer science, software engineering, or other related field.
- Have at least three years of work experience in a relevant technical field.
- Have skills and experience as a full stack developer building web applications.
- Have domain knowledge in ISR processes, systems, platforms, and sensors used by the US military and intelligence community.
- Hold an active Secret, Top Secret, or TS/SCI-level security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at