Want to help shape tomorrow? At Bendix we've been doing it for 90 years…setting the standard with advanced dynamic solutions that drive improved commercial vehicle performance and safety. We're part of the Knorr-Bremse Group, the global leader in braking technologies. As part of our team, you'll collaborate with a world of talented and dedicated colleagues whose sense of purpose complements your own. You'll find rewarding opportunities, diverse experiences, partnerships, and an unwavering commitment to ethics and integrity. Innovation is part of our DNA. Achievement drives our culture. Learn more today!
Implements, leads, and maintains an effective Safety, Health, Environmental and Sustainability program at the Elyria HQ location.
- Individual will be responsible for leading all aspects of the safety function including incident rate reduction, risk assessments, record keeping, reporting, and emergency response. It includes activities such as:
- OSHA compliance activities (program development, documentation and implementation)
- Monthly training development and execution, new hire training
- Safety permit programs oversight (lockout/tagout, confined spaces, fall protection)
- Emergency planning, member of ERO and ERT
- Unsafe condition/behavior program management as well as Incident & accident investigation & follow up
- Monthly safety & housekeeping audits and maintenance of an employee Safety Team
- Contractor safety management
- Monthly collection and reporting of HSE metrics (incidents & near misses, waste generation, wastewater generation, energy consumption, training attendance, audit completion, BeAware observations)
- Individual will be responsible for leading all aspects of the environmental function including:
- Weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual environmental inspections
- Maintenance of wastewater discharge permit (monthly sampling, quarterly reporting, quarterly wetwell dredging)
- Annual environmental regulatory reporting (SARA 312 & 313, air emissions, waste generation)
- Waste management activities (waste storage, quarterly waste shipments)
- Zero Landfill activities, including annual spent material audits, maintenance of composting program, centralized waste collection areas, elimination of water bottles, etc.
- Responsible for the continued implementation and maintenance of the site's ISO14001 management system, to include procedure updates, G&O's, annual internal audits, aspect/impact assessment and input for management review.
- Tracking and closure of open corrective actions
- Continue to drive Safety Best Practices forward along the maturity path in areas to include safety auditing, incident/near-miss investigation, process safety reviews, and development of policies and procedures.
- Interaction with a variety of agencies, including OSHA, State and local fire and health officials.
- Assures compliance with safety, health and environmental laws and regulations issued by, OSHA, EPA, and other federal and local agencies.
- Establish an effective working relationship with site personnel and Elyria product teams and operation functional leaders.
- Assist Group HSE in special projects and corporate auditing at manufacturing sites.
- Provide monthly support for the Kalamazoo, Michigan site and other small remote locations as needed to include monthly safety training, monthly HSE walkthrough, compliance reporting requirements and other support as needed.
- BS in engineering, environmental, industrial hygiene or Safety Management or related science.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. and training platform skills
- Technical background in safety and environmental regulations
- ISO14001 internal auditor
- Ability to lead, motivate and influence others to attain objectives.
- Mature judgment and decision-making ability. Works well within a team environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software products
- Must act with sense of urgency and be able to energize others to work the same to achieve organizational goals/objectives
- 5-7 years work experience in safety, health or environmental field with experience in a manufacturing environment.
What does Bendix have to offer you?
- Work/life balance that includes Paid Vacation & Holiday Paid Time Off
- 401k Plan with Company matching
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Reimbursement)
- Wellness Program and incentives
- Telework policy
- On-Site Fitness Center
- On-Site Cafeteria with Healthy menu options
- Health and Welfare Insurance Benefits that start on your 1st day of employment:
- Company-Paid Benefits:
- Basic Life Insurance
- Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Employee-Paid Benefits:
- Medical and Prescription insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
- Supplemental AD&D insurance for Employee and Family
- Long Term Disability
- Accident Plan
- Critical Illness Plan
- Hospital Indemnity Plan
- Company-Paid Benefits: