BlueWave Solar is a B Corporation on a mission to revolutionize energy with simple, powerful solar solutions. Our team of experts is intensely focused on developing, constructing and managing community solar projects, and forging efficient client relationships that enable customers to participate in these projects. We are constantly innovating to keep pace with the evolving energy industry, and that spirit of innovation drives our company's dynamic culture.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
The Head of Energy Storage Development will be responsible for establishing and aggressively growing BlueWave Solar's battery storage development business, leading all related commercial, technical, and business development activities associated with growing storage-only development in the region. This position will also be the lead market expert for energy storage at BlueWave.
- Lead and support all aspects of energy storage project development at the company, including both commercial and technical scope from the conceptual stage through successful project execution.
- Work closely with the company's project development and site acquisition teams to design paired and/or standalone energy storage projects that create value for the company and its customers.
- Identify new market opportunities for energy storage system development.
- Drive the development of a large portfolio of energy storage assets and build an outstanding team to capitalize on long term opportunity.
- Partner with key suppliers of energy storage systems, inverters, enclosure/buildings, control systems and any other suppliers necessary for the successful commercial and technical execution of energy storage projects.
- Lead the technical review, suitability and troubleshooting of energy storage technologies to meet requirements of company customers, utilities, grid operators, etc.
- Lead the selection of energy storage suppliers and maintain ongoing relationships with them to ensure the company has current commercial and technical information.
- Negotiate supply agreements with energy storage suppliers and ensure terms are both commercially and technically sound with risk appropriately allocated; agreements must be financeable in the project debt and tax equity markets and satisfy requirements of PPAs, grid operators and/or utility standards, EPC scopes, etc.
- Collaborate with the company's solar development and construction management teams as well as other in-house and external functional experts to ensure the smooth transition of energy storage management from development to construction.
- Ongoing engagement with energy storage vendors to ensure compliance with all contract requirements. Work with engineering and finance teams to identify the most appropriate technical, material and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearly present combined technical and financial solutions internally and to project investor partners.
- Work with legal and executive teams to negotiate contract terms and close transactions.
- Consult with clients, construction and finance professionals in developing necessary financial models and assist with tax, financing, and regulatory related research and negotiations.
- Directly responsible for supervising Energy Storage Development Team (to be established).
- 10 or more years of experience in the energy industry in a development, project management, engineering or operational role; renewable energy experience is preferred
- Candidates must have a solid grasp of both the technical and commercial aspects of energy storage technology
- Experience interfacing with utilities, ISOs, etc. to ensure energy storage systems, inverters, control systems, etc. meet interconnection requirements
- Knowledge of performance modeling, whether directly or through a third-party technical consultancy or integrator is preferred
- Experience negotiating supply and operating agreements for energy storage systems
- Understanding of renewable energy project finance and typical lender/tax equity requirements is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, economics, mathematics, physics, computer science or a related field.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Strong knowledge of the energy storage and/or industry preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups.
- 3 or more years of experience at an energy storage manufacturer or within the energy storage supply chain, at a consultancy specializing in energy storage or with a project developer involved in designing and deploying standalone or paired energy storage systems
- Ability to spend time in-person with customers and travel frequently in assigned territory (20-50% travel)
- Understanding of finance / business concepts (NPV, ROI, IRR, etc.).
- Familiarity with formal project management methodologies and ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings a plus.
Characteristics Necessary for Success
- Blend of commercial and technical skills.
- Outstanding project management capabilities critical.
- Ability to communicate and translate technical information to company management.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with interconnecting utilities, vendors and technical consultants.
- Personal accountability and integrity.
- Ability to make informed decisions in a quick and nimble fashion.
- Comfortable with a work environment that is fast paced and changes quickly.
- Ability to work within a team with a positive attitude.
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.