Are you a Graphic Designer guru interested in all things related to design?
Do you want to be a strong advocate for great design, in all its forms?
Are your happiest moments when you work together with scientists, engineers, or technical staff who are achieving new heights because they are each contributing their special expertise and perspectives?
Are you the type of person that loves to research a design challenge or learn a new plugin to make the coolest most effective solution?
Do you believe a picture is worth 1000 words?
If so, we could make a phenomenal team!
Our newly formed Communications Department is seeking an experienced Graphic Designer/Artist within our Multimedia Design Group! This group of creatives will provide technical staff, Lab leaders, and our Lab engagement and public relations strategists with high-quality multi-media products, ranging from short animations to scripted videos, from websites to microsites, from graphic identifiers to staging design, and from conceptual to technical illustrations.
As a Graphic Designer at APL you will…
- Join an interdisciplinary design section of hardworking designers, illustrators, video producers, animators, and other creative staff members.
- Help us craft effective and impactful visual communications for internal and external deliverables.
- Ensure projects are completed with high quality and on schedule.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions.
- Perform retouching and manipulation of images.
- Consult on communications products to technical investigators and leaders across the Laboratory.
- Work closely with your colleagues to ensure a seamless workflow and the highest quality products and deliverables, within a cross-functional communications organization.
- Ensure APL's brand is consistent in all products and deliverables and create style guides as needed.
- Report to the Section Supervisor of one of our interdisciplinary sections within our Multimedia Design Group.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- A bachelor's degree in design, animation/video, storytelling, communications, or related field, or equivalent years of experience.
- 3-5 years of professional experience to include demonstrated experience with design, illustration, animation, video, or communications.
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels of a matrixed organization.
- A self-motivated, strong influencer and negotiator with demonstrated ability to assess situations, collaborate across the organization, make timely decisions, and communicate these decisions clearly, to all levels of the organization.
- Unquestionable integrity with exceptional communication skills and ability to effectively interact with all levels of staff.
- Proficiency in working with the Adobe Creative Suite and other design software.
- The ability to work on both Mac and Windows platforms.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Have an aptitude for learning and applying new software as required.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Experience any of the following areas: AR/VR, 3D, Photography, Video, Audio, Motion Graphics, VFX, and/or Simulations.
- Experience in UI/UX design and implementation.
- Experience with Data Visualization.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at .