Middle River Aerostructure Systems is a world-leading manufacturer of thrust reverser (the braking system on a jet engine), engine nacelle components and specialized aerostructures. It supplies and supports these products for engine makers, airplane manufacturers and aircraft operators. Located on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay near Baltimore, MRAS has a 1.7-million sq. ft. facility situated on 180 acres - where the company and its predecessors have designed, built and equipped civil and military aircraft for nearly 90 years. In 2019, MRAS was acquired by VT Systems, the U.S. affiliate of Singapore-based ST Engineering - becoming a part of its global network of aerospace facilities and offices. With the ownership change, the company was renamed Middle River Aerostructure Systems.
Environmental Specialist will work to implement programs, policies, and assessments to ensure the company follows all state, federal and internal environmental, health and safety rules. Work closely with manufacturing teams in order to accomplish goals. Oversee and supervise the teams responsible for keeping our waste and environmental requirements compliant.
· Ensure compliance with state, federal, and business requirements on the shop floor
· Engage operations teams to ensure effective implementation of key EHS programs and improve organizational culture
· Supervise and guide the environmental technician and conservation teams
· Lead corrective action teams and investigations in manufacturing setting
· Train hourly employees on items relating to Environmental, Health, and Safety compliance requirements as well as Business Priorities such as Behavioral Based Safety and Hazard Recognition
· Work both indoors and outdoors around a manufacturing facility with heavy equipment and overhead cranes.
· Maintain and conduct periodic audits and inspections of safety equipment on site
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in Environmental, Health, and Safety field or related field such as Engineering
· 3-5 years of experience with a background of permitted including but not limited to Title V, SWPPP, and RCRA. 1-2 years in a supervisory role.
· Knowledge of Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Maryland Department of Environment (MDE) standards
· Strong technical background. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite tools.
· Possess the ability to conduct training sessions with knowledge of Adult Learning techniques
· Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization, including union members and upper management.
· Physical demands of walking, climbing stairs/ladders and equipment, being in tight areas to conduct job evaluations of employees. Minimal lifting will be required.
· OSHA 10 or 30 Hour Trained, CPR/First Aid/AED Certification
· HAZWOPER 40 hour is a plus, HAZWOPER 8 hour recommended
· Experience with Behavioral Based Safety & HIRA or Hazard Recognition
· Strong oral, written communication, and conflict resolution skills.
MRAS is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.