Business: Boys Town National Research Hospital
Job Summary: The Coordinator of Research Engineering performs functions of a computer software and hardware engineer, with an emphasis on programming of real time data collection applications. Provides technical oversight and supervision for Systems Analysts/Programmers who are involved in the development of software and hardware for research laboratories. Supervises the maintenance and calibration of digital, microprocessor-based, and analog devices and equipment used in research laboratories investigating mechanisms of hearing/balance/speech/language in humans and in auditory neuroscience labs. Is fully competent to work in all phases of these areas.
- Supervises and provides technical oversight for Systems Analyst/Programmers in areas related to implementing, testing, and maintaining research software and hardware for research laboratories investigating hearing, speech, balance, or language outcomes in humans using both behavioral and physiological/objective measures.
- Supervises the installation, diagnoses, and maintenance of research computing hardware and experimental measurement systems used in research laboratories.
- Responsible for analysis of requirements for laboratory data collection and data analysis software. Designs and implements software to meet these requirements.
- Develops and implements procedures for oversight and coordination of software and hardware development for research laboratories.
- Ensures that research engineering-related questions are addressed appropriately through coordination of day-to-day support for users in research laboratories who work with non-standard FFBH hardware and software.
- Coordinates the calibration of laboratory and clinical electro-acoustic equipment. Supervises the construction of special-purpose hardware for use in research laboratories.
- Learns about new hardware and new software techniques and shares this knowledge with technical and research staff. Works with research directors to develop strategies to share technologies across laboratories and to advance technical capabilities of existing laboratories.
- Responsible for coordinating efforts to review hardware requirements and newly developed software across technical core personnel.
- Trains users and junior programmer/engineers on hardware selection and research software development.
- Responsible for working with other members of the technical core leadership team to assign task priorities, establish project timelines, and provide regular project updates to supervisors.
- Serve as a role model for ethical behavior and promote awareness and moral principles of the Mission, Vision, & Values of Boys Town.
- Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Hearing Science, Biomedical Sciences, or a related field
- Minimum of ten years of experience in systems analysis, computer programming and research engineering, required
- Minimum of four years\' experience in real-time data collection programming, required
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to the above requirements may be substituted
- Supervisory experience is preferred
- Strong communication skills to communicate effectively with administrative, clinical, and research personnel, and other users of computer resources in a clear, non-technical fashion
- Advanced knowledge of the requirements of auditory research laboratories and the ability to apply standard engineering techniques and procedures in order to operate and control these laboratories using dedicated and/or general-purpose microcomputers or microprocessors.
- Ability to construct and maintain digital and analog equipment such as amplifiers, attenuators, integrators, differentiators, etc.
- Ability to effectively use electronic diagnostic and testing equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, meters, signal and pulse generators, electro-acoustic measurement equipment and network analyzers.
- Familiarity with structured programming techniques, sorting and searching algorithms, and operating system principles. Ability to program using object-oriented programming techniques and in languages commonly used in research (e.g., C++, C#, Matlab, Python, SQL, R, and special-purpose languages).
- Ability to analyze questions and problem statements from users and respond to them appropriately.
- Knowledge of digital signal processing techniques.
- Ability to supervise Systems Analyst/Programmers.
About Boys Town: Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town\'s mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: October 11, 2021
Boys Town National Research Hospital is a tobacco free campus. This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-.