Apply Now Client Overview:
Our client is a leading provider of commercial cooking/cooling technologies.
Reporting to and under the direction of the VP of Engineering, the Engineering Manager Embedded Software leads, oversees and engages in the design, development and implementation of software applications for embedded products, systems and IoT applications. This position will lead and manage a team of embedded software engineers for application and execution of best practices in software development for both internal and external products. The position will be responsible for all project and day to day task management of the product development and sustaining software function in support of business objectives and in collaboration with the Electrical Engineering Manager. This position will also work in support of establishing the strategic direction for embedded software and control technology in close collaboration with Product Management and Engineering Leadership.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Engaged leadership of internal and external technical resources in the development of embedded software solutions for a variety of commercial appliance and IoT products.
- Lead, define and documentation of control software architecture, communication and web connected protocols and coding based on best industry practices.
- Establish and enforce standardized best in class coding practices and concepts.
- Lead software team in all phases of product development: definition, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test, field test, and production validation.
- Development of technical specifications, requirements, and scope definition in execution of software solutions supporting product specification and performance requirements.
- Using industry best practices, develop project plans (schedule, resource, scope, requirements) in support of achieving overall product development and business goals and objectives.
- Liaison between the engineering and other business functions supporting key development and task status communications, updates, and training (where required).
- Works with VP Engineering and Electrical Engineering Manager to develop annual budget for any new software or external development source requirements.
- Ensures every member of the team is working with and has latest skills and training in support of current and future development requirements.
- Software design, implementation, testing, and support for, in-house controls, production testing, board-test software, and other custom tools designed to increase worker productivity.
- Participate in all phases of product development: definition, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test, field test, and production validation.
- Function as a liaison between functional groups (i.e. production, service, Corporate Communications, customer service, and vendors).
- Manage requirements, specifications, and statements of work for third-party control suppliers.
- Propose new projects and control designs in support of innovation, customer value creation and cost improvement.
- Ability to take a project from concept to completion, identifying required resources and managing project execution.
- Collaborates with front end users on software functionality.
- Stays updated to new software technologies, as well as conforming to best practices in cybersecurity & IoT.
- BS/MS/ME degree in Electrical Engineering (EE), Computer Engineering (CompE), or Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) required. Equivalent experience may be considered.
- 5-8+ years of experience developing embedded software
- 3+ years of leading embedded software development projects and programs
- Familiar with a variety of common concepts and practices in the field of experience.
- Experience with 8, 16, and 32-bit microcontrollers and related peripherals and systems (i.e. UART/SCI, SPI, GPIO, A/D converters, PWM, serial and parallel interfaces, etc.)
- Expertise designing and implementing real-time firmware/software
- Experience designing applications for LINUX environments
- Experience customizing LINUX operating environments
- Preferred to have experience in .NET programming
- Experience or knowledge with Qt development architecture platform a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of project management concepts such as SCRUM and Agile
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook
- 10 years of experience with product development and product manufacturing environment
- Excellent documentation skills and oral communication skills between other departments
- Strong technical & analytical ability
- Possess leadership skills to be able to identify bottlenecks in the development workflow and implement corrective actions