Role and Responsibilities
Primary function is to oversee the construction & maintenance operations for County roads and bridges and to ensure construction is performed according to plans and specifications. Manage all aspects of the Public Transportation Department to include all Engineering projects/plans and CAD, the Road and Bridge Department, the Mechanic Shop, and Fleet Management. Involved in the planning and design of storm water management systems; traffic engineering; planning, design, and supervision of the construction of water, sewer, and gas utility systems; assisting the Building Official in the review of plans for large structures and in ensuring compliance with threshold structure code requirements. This position is also responsible for providing engineering/technical decisions with regard to county road & bridge systems. Manage all aspects of road & bridge construction projects. Work involves responsibility for the leadership, organization, direction, and coordination of the day-to-day operations of the department, including responsibility for resource allocation, budget and personnel. The incumbent utilizes considerable independent judgment and initiative to govern in a manner that ensures compliance with the highest industry standards as required by state and federal regulatory agencies. This position reports directly to the County Administrator.
ESSENTIAL Job Functions
· Administers the various contracts for the Public Transportation Department. Working with FDOT and NWFWMD in regards to regional and state impacts to County roadways.
· Contributes to the development and implementation of the County's Long Range Strategic Plan;
· Coordinates other projects as assigned by the County Administrator.
· Develops department-specific policies, in consultation with the County Administrator for maximum utilization of financial and human capital.
· Duties include the oversight of the Road and Bridge Department, Fleet, Mechanics Shop, and CAD performance for the JBOCC.
· Duties include the planning, assigning, coordinating, and/or direction/supervision all of the activities, operations, and personnel of the Public Transportation Department including a wide variety of public transportation tasks and services including the planning, design, construction, review, inspection and maintenance of all County roads, parks, facilities, bridges, and storm water - assisting staff in transportation system planning and developing funding options regarding the County road system.
· Effectively presents project requests information in writing and orally, to the County Administrator, Board of County Commissioners, other elected officials, and various community groups as required/appropriate.
· Interacts with various County departments on issues, projects, and events that are interrelated.
· Investigates and resolves public questions or complaints relating to the Public Transportation Department.
· Proposes rules, fees, and policies to the County Administrator pertaining to the department and its operations.
· Provides leadership management principles and processes within the department.
· Provides and initiates recommendations, presentations, and reports on a variety of Public Transportation functions, projects, plans, and operations.
· Responsible for working with staff in the review of subdivision and site plans; road and utilities design standards; developing plans and programs for storm water management, potable water, sewer, and gas utilities; assisting the Building Official in matters related to the review of threshold buildings; and ensures compliance with state and federal standards.
· Responsible for directing and participating in the selection, placement, promotion, training, development, safety, discipline, and appraisal of a large staff of employees.
· Responsible for the preparation, oversight, and tracking of contracts, plans, and specification for all County Public Transportation projects for Board approval, including but not limited to:
o Bridge inspection reports - identifying, prioritizing, and budgeting maintenance/repair needs;
o Construction documents and specifications;
o Coordinating with government and permitting agencies;
o Coordinating with design professionals;
o Development of Master Plans;
o Preparing bid packages for construction contracts;
o Preparing change orders for contract amendments; and
o Reviewing and negotiating fees;
· Responds to inquiries from the Board of County Commissioners, the County Administrator, the media, and the public, to ensure consistency with County policies, goals, and initiatives.
· Studies departmental organization, personnel distribution and project requirements to effect the most efficient and economical utilization of facilities, personnel, and equipment including contracting out specific services.
· Performs other job related requirements, as needed.
(The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties or requirements of this position.)
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· 6 years of progressively responsible professional, managerial, supervisor, and administrative experience in services or operations that includes 2 years managing 1 or more major public sector operations; or
· Associate's degree in public administration, business, project management, political science, engineering or related field and 5 years of experience as described above; or
· Bachelor's degree and 4 years of experience as described above; or
· Master's degree and 3 years of experience as described above; or
· An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
· Master's degree in an Engineering field and Professional Engineering license preferred (P.E. required if assigned as County Engineer).
Appointing Authority May Also Require
• Florida Driver's License or Florida Commercial Driver's License and endorsement
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Ability to diplomatically communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
· Ability to detect and locate defective workmanship in construction or repair of buildings, and public works;
· Ability to create and interpret blueprints, diagrams, site plans, specifications, codes, building regulations, engineering designs, constructions standards, and best management practices;
· Ability to maintain complete and accurate records and to develop meaningful reports from those records;
· Ability to use common office machines including computers, computer driven word processing, spreadsheets, and file maintenance programs;
· Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with developers, contractors, property owners, and the general public.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
· Ability to speak effectively in public.
· Knowledge required to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Board, local officials, peers, employees, and public;
· Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations pertaining to local government;
· Knowledge of state statues, rules, and codes pertaining to all aspects of county government;
· Knowledge of employee development and empowerment, integrity, professionalism, and responsibility at organizational levels;
· Knowledge and diplomatic ability to exercise tact and discretion while handling confidential personnel matters;
· Knowledge of modern engineering principles, practices, and techniques, and of federal and state organizations and standards applicable to the practice of the County Engineer.
· Knowledge of state and local ordinances and codes, or the ability to quickly understand those ordinances and codes;
· Knowledge of the ethical guidelines applicable to the position and to the practice of engineering as outlined by professional standards and/or federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and ordinances;
· Knowledge of County geography, or the ability to quickly learn the County geography.
· Knowledge of the principles of supervision, organization, and administration.
· Knowledge of advanced computer workstations, CADD/CAM systems, and common engineering mathematical modeling software, including the ability to develop mathematical models.
Oversee, plan, and implement major programs and services for the organization. Report on my progress to the organization's executive team.
Oversee work that involves the use of complex technical, scientific, or mathematical concepts that increases the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. Analyze and make recommendations on how to improve the operational performance of the organization.
Responsible for determining goals, policies, and desired outcomes for multiple units. Determine the appropriate level of resources to meet the organization's goals.
Provide updates to senior managers, elected officials, or other community groups or organizations. Work regularly with other Directors or senior managers to ensure the provision of efficient and effective services. Part of performance is tied to how well responses to members of the community or internal peers within the organization are handled.
Regularly make decisions that could lead to major community or organizational consequences if fail to make the appropriate decision at the time. Intermittently fingering..... click apply for full job details