Apex Clean Energy develops, constructs, and operates utility-scale wind and solar power facilities across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 renewable energy experts uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world's most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information on how Apex is leading the transition to a clean energy future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America's clean energy future.
The Director, Health and Safety is responsible for assisting with Apex's safety program development, implementation, and providing functional health and safety leadership to operations, construction, and development.
The successful candidate will possess the personal skills to lead safety through leadership culture, by building relationships and influencing behaviors through conversation and coaching. The candidate shall have the ability to have one-on-one and group safety conversations in a way which improves personnel behaviors and safety relationships. This individual shall also possess the necessary skills to develop monthly safety reports. Our ideal candidate has a solid track record of leading health and safety behavioral-based programs in operating and construction environments. Apex is looking for professional health and safety candidates who are forward-thinking and rigorous in their approach to Health and Safety Management Systems.
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer and working closely with key internal stakeholders, the Director, Health and Safety will be responsible for maintaining regulatory compliance and promoting a safe work culture at our operational sites, project construction sites, and developing sites. The role will span tactical and transformational health and safety management activities. As the Director of Health and Safety, you will be responsible for overseeing regulatory compliance, training and implementation of Apex's safety policies, accident investigation and documentation, OSHA efforts, and management of the other safety program initiatives.
The Director of Health and Safety will also be a contributor to the broader facility management team and provide leadership to process improvement and best practice deployment, demonstrating the right values and behaviors with high emotional intelligence in working with a disbursed stakeholder base, often on critical schedule projects. You may be asked to help mentor or assist Site Managers or to help develop and implement corporate initiatives.
- Accountable for Apex's health and safety program for our operations, construction, and development environments
- Accountable for regulatory and safety oversight for a growing asset base across the U.S. and in Canada including Apex employees and vendors, partners, clients, and project stakeholders
- Develop, train, and lead incident and emergency response program
- Develop and lead crisis management plans and response
- Develop and manage Energy Risk Matrix and other risk assessment tools
- Continuous improvement initiatives and health and safety strategy for individual business units
- Lead in the management of the facility specific health and safety programs, processes and policies.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to health and safety excellence and enable safe working environments and strong safety culture across all environments
- Monitor regulatory compliance, compliance with Apex safety program requirements, accident investigation and documentation, OSHA efforts, and safety training
- Implement, motivate, educate and enforce Apex's health and safety policies
- Manage the safety training program and ensure training is completed on applicable safety health and safety procedures/programs, first aid and emergency response, and other training
- With facility management, oversee contractor health and safety performance. Ensure contractors are properly trained, use appropriate tools and equipment and protect all employees from injury
- Manage all aspects of our safety reporting and maintain the facility health and safety records
- Actively monitor work safety in the field on a frequent basis. Conduct formal and informal safety reviews, audits, reporting. When necessary, stop potential unsafe behaviors in the field when observed and coach employees on the proper method. Also provide positive recognition for safe behaviors
- Work with site personnel to secure accident scenes when appropriate, ensure the medical treatment of affected employee and/or contract employee, and investigate near miss, first aid, recordable injuries, on site vehicle incidents or incidents related to plant vehicles, and general safety concerns
- Assist/Coordinate recommendations for corrective actions and track to completion
- Manage accident investigations, root cause analyses, and related reporting
- Work closely with Project Development teams to provide guidance and approval of HSE-related document approval.
- Review and approve Site Safety Plans for ERP contract submittal.
- Develop strategic plans to move the company with advancing safety processes and performance.
- Provide safety guidance and support to all business functions.
- Manage and lead company values through daily actions.
- Manage the Department of Transportation (DOT) Program for Site and Over-the-Road drivers
- Work with site personnel and contractors to assure fire system inspection, testing, and functionality
- Primary contact with the site's health clinic. Schedule annual physical exams, hearing tests, and/or respirator evaluations
- Contribute to improvements in quantitative and qualitative approaches to drive workplace process improvements
To succeed as our Director of Health and Safety at Apex Clean Energy, you'll need to display excellence within the following criteria:
- At least 8, preferably 10, years of leading health and safety programs
- At least 5 years of field energy related experience
- Extensive experience creating and managing health and safety programs, policies, and procedures for development, operations, construction, and corporate environments
- Extensive experience applying OSHA and related state health and safety regulations
- Record of achieving results through rigorous application of regulations
- Self-directed, action-oriented, forward-thinking and organized with high ethical standards
- Strong analytical ability with experience utilizing quantitative data for program and process analysis and reporting
- Extensive experience with accident investigation and corrective action development
- Experience in an operating environment
- Experience deploying health and safety audits and assessments
- Experience working with contractors
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently and build consensus among all stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to lead change in the face of adversity; to challenge the status quo constructively
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in using Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Willing to work evenings and weekends on a non-routine basis if needed to support facility operations
- Willing and able to travel on a regular basis (35-50%) to construction, operating, and corporate sites
- Willing to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA is preferred but remote work for the right candidate will be considered.
- Able to stand or sit for sustained periods of time. Able to climb stairs and ladders; Able to lift equipment that can weigh up to 50 pounds. May need to wear personal protective equipment including respiratory protection, fall protection, safety boots, protective clothing, hearing protection, and gloves.
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts