The Design Senior Project Manager is responsible for the delivery of effective design project management services. The projects are high profile, and may have difficult features such as demanding schedule, multiple phasing, extremely tight budget, or difficult site, and have a significant impact on operations. Projects will often lack definition, large amounts of team members from multiple departments and need intense management to develop the program and deliver a completed project that meets the scope, schedule and budget requirements.
Duties to Include:
- Manage the design process from Pre-Design Services through the Bidding
- Ensure project design is in compliance with current codes, University design standards and industry standards
- Supervises management and administration for a wide variety of contracts
- Identify critical lead items and timelines and impacts to schedule
- Manage scope of project to maintain with the established budget
- Provide directions, assignments, feedback, coaching and counseling to assure outcomes are achieved
- Plans, estimates, staffs, organizes and monitors projects
- Master's degree in architecture, engineering or a related field or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Professional experience (typically 5-7 years) in project management of projects during programming, schematic design, design development and/or construction document phases.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in computer software applications.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff at all levels of an organization
- Experience in a customer focused, team-oriented environment.
- Professional experience (typically 7-10) in project management of projects.
- Expert/Leader experience in project management of the design phases of projects on a university campus.
- Expert/Leader experience with project management software such as BlueBeam, Microsoft Projects, etc.
- Expert/Leader experience in sustainability design practices, laboratory and/or MEPT capital improvement projects and/or state building inspection procedures.
- Expert/Leader experience managing healthcare facility capital projects.
About Design & Construction:
Design & Construction leads a comprehensive and cooperative approach to design and construction excellence in creating a campus that is consistent with the University of Iowa's status as one of the nation's leading academic/research institutions. We support the University's mission to educate, provide community service and encourage environmental sustainability.
Design & Construction takes an integrated and sustainable approach to the long-term planning and management of the University of Iowa's land, buildings, and historic resources. We facilitate and support decision making processes of Senior Administration and the in these areas.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.