Louisiana State University Shreveport
Job Title: Custodial and Grounds- Manager
Department: Operations- Administration
Reports To: Director- Facility Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Facility Services Department at Louisiana State University in Shreveport is seeking applications for a Custodial and Grounds Manager. The Custodial and Grounds Manager reports directly to the Director of Facility Services.
The Custodial and Grounds Manager:
- Is responsible for the sanitization, cleanliness, and overall appearance of classroom and office related working environments of over 600,000 square feet of campus building floor space.
- Is responsible for the campus wide lawncare, tree maintenance and flowerbed care as well as the overall appearance of over 250 acres of the LSUS campus.
- Provides direct supervision to three (3) direct report staff supervisors and indirect supervision to sixteen (16) custodial and four (4) grounds staff. This position will oversee and direct the day to day operations of these two departments and will be responsible for monitoring and assessing the managerial skillsets of the three (3) direct report supervisors so as to develop and enhance supervisor skill through training for greater overall communications, quality and departmental productivity.
- Is responsible for hiring, training, evaluation and retention of qualified and productive employees. This position is heavily weighted on workforce development in order to meet APPA's cleaning and other custodial quality control standards as well as APPA's grounds maintenance safety and quality standards.
- The primary responsibility of the Custodial and Grounds Manager is the daily execution and quality management of the detailed and robust LSUS custodial services program. This custodial services program requires the leadership necessary to train all custodial supervisors and employees to the expectations of the LSUS custodial services program. This LSUS custodial services program also requires the leadership skills necessary for extensive workforce development and training to the safety requirements and in-depth understanding of the tools, materials, equipment and best practices used to perform the daily activities of the custodial tasks outlined in the LSUS custodial services program.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES: Include, but are not limited to the following:
Leadership- Trains and develops custodial supervisors and custodial staff members to the procedural requirements of all day to day activities related to the LSUS custodial services program. (55%)
- Demonstrates the ability to lead, mentor, engage and develop teams to maximize their contributions, including recruiting, assessing, training, coaching and managing performance.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and experience in employee development and management. The development of the employee management skillsets of the three (3) direct report line supervisors is of high and primary importance. Workforce development and intra departmental team building is an extremely important principal component to this position.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of contemporary Higher Ed Custodial best practices, tools, equipment and safe cleaning products, materials and supplies.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage human resources, set expectations for service, and exert quality controls to ensure quality responsiveness to the campus custodial and grounds needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain an effective customer rapport for a mutually beneficial inter- departmental working relationship.
- Provides regular communication with individuals, departments and the campus community as needed to coordinate or inform regarding custodial actions and associated requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify customer needs and augment existing, or develop a specific, custodial program to meet customer demands and specifications.
- Conducts regular training for Custodial and Grounds safety and services activities. Will also conduct periodic training on established Facility Services quality and customer service protocols and procedures.
- Conducts periodic building inspections to ensure that standards are being maintained and to provide quality related feedback to the custodial supervisors.
- This position will assist the Director of Facility Services in all matters pertinent to custodial and grounds operations.
- This position will conduct Performance Evaluations and Planning Sessions for all direct reporting personnel and perform secondary review/approval of evaluations conducted by subordinate supervisors.
- This position will develop, conduct, and document all ORM, equipment and procedural training related to custodial and grounds operations.
- This position will conduct and maintain an inventory of property for custodial and grounds departments.
- This position will assist the Director of Facility Services in hiring, training, evaluation and resolving personnel/employees matters.
- This position will conduct regular inspections of all Custodial and Grounds service activities to document and report any substandard workmanship, safety hazards or non-compliance to established Facility Services quality and customer service protocols and procedures.
- · This position will perform the duties of the "Owners Representative," as required, to assist service vendors and contractors in fulfilling their contractual obligations in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
- · Performs other duties as assigned.
The position of Custodial and Grounds Manager is a program management staff position and includes supervision of direct reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each major accountability. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the major accountabilities.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in Facility Management from four-year college or university; and four to six years related experience and/or training in a large multi-purpose facility desired; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of five years in a custodial supervisory role preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Possess analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Must possess the ability to evaluate and streamline business practices to maximize communication and accountability of activities. Must possess the ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and workflows and articulate it accurately to the Facility Services staff in written and verbal form.
Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
Maintenance Management, Work Planning and Control experience required
In depth knowledge of CMMS systems and database administration experience
Have knowledge of computerized Procurement or Inventory Control systems
Working knowledge of Microsoft Access and database management a plus
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to perform under minimal supervision and work irregular/extended hours as necessary
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities
- Ability to Maintain confidentiality
- Possess exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to interact effectively with administrative and trades oriented personnel
- Be a good Team Leader example
- Possess organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of APPA custodial standards and best practices a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the major accountabilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the major accountabilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch..... click apply for full job details