Important Note: During the application process, ensure your contact information (email and phone number) is up to date and upload your current resume when submitting your application for consideration. To participate in some selection activities you will need to respond to an invitation. The invitation can be sent by both email and text message. In order to receive text message invitations, your profile must include a mobile phone number designated as "Personal Cell" or "Cellular" in the contact information of your application.
At Wells Fargo, we are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. We are seeking candidates who embrace diversity, equity and inclusion in a workplace where everyone feels valued and inspired.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Legal - Our vision is to advance the company's strategy, support its transformation, and effectively manage risk through a team known for collaboration, sound judgment, and proactive advice.
We support our vision with four strategic pillars: Integrated Business Advice, Risk Management, Talent & Leadership Development, and Operational Excellence. #LegalDeptJobs
This Senior Counsel position is in the Wells Fargo Legal Department's Enterprise Functions Division. The successful candidate will work closely and steadily with Wells Fargo's Information Management Office (IMO). IMO, which is a front-line team within the Chief Operating Office, enables Wells Fargo's businesses to efficiently and effectively manage and control information management risk throughout the information lifecycle. This position also supports several other enterprise functions and teams, including Data Management and Insights, Group and Regional Records Coordinators, Information Management Risk Oversight, and Privacy Compliance. This Senior Counsel will be a member of the Privacy and Information Management Team, which is one of several teams within the Privacy, Information Security and Data Section of the Enterprise Functions Division. This attorney will have significant interaction with the Section's privacy, technology, and data attorneys, as well as other attorneys in the Legal Department who support the company's businesses.
The position will have primary legal responsibility and accountability for all facets of Wells Fargo's information and records management program, advising and counseling managers and leaders in the company's consumer, commercial, and investment management businesses, as well as enterprise functions such as privacy, data, technology, third party contracts and strategic transactions. The attorney will have seasoned experience, a proven record of success and accomplishments, and the ability to provide immediate, decisive, and effective counsel in risk management and information management compliance across Wells Fargo's global footprint.
The successful candidate will be skilled and experienced to do the following:
- Work with and advise the Information Management Office on all aspects of Wells Fargo's global records and information management (RIM) program, including retention schedule maintenance and use, and selection of information management technology solutions
- Have broad knowledge of U.S. and global information management and record retention laws, and the know-how to identify, synthesize, and resolve issues in these areas in collaboration with other legal, risk, and compliance subject-matter experts
- Analyze U.S. and international legislation and rulemaking related to the RIM program and guide businesses in operational and practical impact and implications; be a prolific communicator and advocate in legislative developments and regulatory rulemaking; represent Wells Fargo where appropriate and beneficial in industry trade groups
- Provide support on electronic records (eRecords) initiatives, including efforts to organize, classify, and migrate unstructured data to approved archiving systems
- Provide information management guidance to business teams with international responsibilities; experience advising businesses in the implementation of laws, regulations, and regulatory guidance related to cross-border transactions or activities
- Provide support on internal audit and litigation matters involving information management issues
- Draft or revise information management-related requirements for customer and vendor contracts
- Assist with the development of policies, procedures, and controls; provide training on information management compliance
- Working knowledge of U.S. and global privacy laws and regulations, including GLBA, CCPA, and GDPR, and the ability to support subject-matter experts in these areas
- Familiarity with eRecords management standards and best practices, including standards specified in the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) guidelines
- Accustomed to working with global operations and risk management teams in a multinational corporate environment across diverse time zones
- Be proficient with advising risk managers and compliance managers in the above areas and supporting them in the development of practical processes that control risk and ensure compliance
- 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney; or 6+ years of experience as a practicing attorney and 2+ years of legal-related experience in one or a combination of the following areas: risk, compliance, contracts, government, regulatory, financial services, or technology
- Active State Bar membership
- Ability to analyze legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
- Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
- Effective in building partnerships, functioning well with project teams, and working for the success of the team
MN-Minneapolis: 90 S 7th St - Minneapolis, MN
NC-Charlotte: 301 S College St - Charlotte, NC
IA-Des Moines: 800 Walnut St - Des Moines, IA
MO-Saint Louis: 1 N Jefferson Ave - Saint Louis, MO
NY-New York: 150 E 42nd St - New York, NY
CA-SF-Financial District: 333 Market St - San Francisco, CA
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Visit for benefits information.