The National Renewable Energy Laboratory ( NREL ), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado, is the nation's primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
From day one at NREL, you'll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, you'll have the opportunity to engage though our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
NREL supports inclusive, diverse, and unbiased hiring practices that promote creativity and innovation. By collaborating with organizations that focus on diverse talent pools, reaching out to underrepresented demographics, and providing an inclusive application and interview process, our Talent Acquisition team aims to hear all voices equally. We strive to attract a highly diverse workforce and create a culture where every employee feels welcomed and respected and they can be their authentic selves.
NREL's Communications Office has two openings for Communications Project Professionals to lead multi-channel communications campaigns and related content that amplifies research in the areas of advanced manufacturing, water power, and wind energy.
As a Communications Professional II/III at NREL, you will work closely with researchers as part of our dedicated communications team that is structured in an agency-like setting and includes project managers, editors, graphic designers, digital specialists, and other writers. You'll develop multiple deliverables in parallel, working against deadlines for our clients at NREL and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
Our team may be a great match if you
- Love leading communication projects (tracking timelines, deliverables, details, and budgets)
- Thrive when collaborating as part of a team
- Enjoy building client/customer relationships to become a trusted partner
- Have experience in-and are passionate about- translating science subject matter into compelling communications content.
We'll rely on your help to deliver creative approaches, consistent quality, and client service. We're looking for a self-motivated individual who is familiar with traditional and digital communications, demonstrates attention to detail and quality, and is comfortable interacting directly with research staff and management while building strong working relationships across NREL's Communications Office.
Primary job functions will include:
- Working directly with NREL research staff and communication teams to spread the word about their projects and publications, including crafting internal and external communications strategies, building engaging PowerPoint presentations, collaborating with designers to develop graphics for a publication or proposal, and more
- Science communication, including reviewing complex technical information from research staff and translating it into clear content for a variety of target audiences and media-like news stories, social media posts, video scripts, and web content
- Managing budgets, roles, and timelines for a variety of multichannel outreach campaigns
- Problem solving, team collaboration, and project management through Microsoft Teams, and documentation in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
With your application, please include a cover letter describing why you're interested in these positions and highlighting your specific qualifications.
About NREL and the Communications Office
NREL is the only DOE national laboratory dedicated to renewable energy and energy efficiency research. The NREL Communications Office is comprised of communications experts in a variety of disciplines focused on raising awareness about the lab and DOE programs. Positions reside in the Communication Office's Science and Technology Communications Group, which consists of 12 teams representing NREL's wide-ranging research areas.
Professional II - Relevant Bachelor's Degree and 2 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant Master's Degree or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Professional III- Relevant Bachelor's Degree and 5 or more years of experience. Or, relevant Master's Degree and 3 or more years of experience. Or, relevant PhD or equivalent relevant education/experience.