The Chief Engineer will oversee the general upkeep and management of the Gant's condominiums and physical plant as well as maintenance and repairs of electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), carpentry, painting, and other building systems, including preventive maintenance.
The Chief Engineer position reports directly to the Property's Resort Manager and General Manager. This position requires close working relationships with other key members within the property, including members of the Executive Committee and operations groups. The Chief Engineer will have a good working relationship with guests, homeowners and strategic partners.
Reporting to this position will be the property's in-unit maintenance and grounds team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide clear leadership and direction to the engineering team.
• Create an accountable, communicative, team-oriented environment such that the team is striving to achieve and exceed expectations.
• Perform in a manner fully aligned with The Gant's core values and overall strategic objectives while ensuring a hands-on approach as necessary.
• Communicate and work effectively with other key executives across various functional lines to build and maintain productive relationships.
• Perform all the above with the highest standard of excellence and integrity.
• Actively invest the time and energy necessary to become familiar with the Property's rental and association operations, the board and the owners, including the underlying vision, business model, culture and values, competitors, financial data and projections, budgets, timelines, long-range plans, systems and key priorities.
• Lead the engineering team while getting acquainted with other executive team members for the Property.
• Enforce hotel and company policies and procedures.
• Attend and participate in staff meetings as scheduled.
• Maintain files per department guidelines and accurate records for all areas of responsibility.
• Maintain a working knowledge of all federal, state, local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Assure proper certification of all employee mechanics and technicians, as required.
• Negotiate, prepare, and administer agreements and contracts with consultants and contractors.
• Liaison with governmental agencies and manage the procurement and compliance with entitlements, permits, inspections, notices, and other requirements.
• Maintain a professional image at all times.
• Act as a resource for all departments of the hotel.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Organization, prioritization, satisfactory and timely completion of all in-unit projects and work orders.
• Schedule, inspect and approve contractor remodels and projects.
• Personally inspect all homeowner arrivals and at least 15% of weekly work orders.
• Organization, prioritization, satisfactory and timely completion of all grounds' projects and work orders.
• Schedule and maintain daily, weekly and semiannual physical plant preventive maintenance checks and record keeping, including boilers, HVAC, pools and spas, tennis courts, elevators, trash compactors, fire safety equipment, structure, roofs, walkways, parking lots, vehicles, maintenance shop and other miscellaneous areas and equipment.
• Weekly vehicle safety checks and coordination of vehicle upkeep and repairs.
• Coordinate property improvement assignments.
• Schedule, inspect and approve outside contractor projects.
• Hire, train and schedule all department personnel.
• Provide efficient use of manpower to manage workload.
• Provide timely performance appraisals.
• Schedule and conduct monthly department meetings.
Purchasing and Financials
• Purchase departmental, homeowner, and property improvement supplies and provide adequate inventory of parts, supplies, tools, and materials for department.
• Produce annual operating budget for payroll, expenses, and utilities.
• Establish and maintain an efficient inventory and purchasing system.
• Provide budget analysis and forecast each period.
• Review and code invoices in a timely manner.
• Operate all areas within budgeted guidelines.
• Monthly work order billing and achieve recovered labor goals.
• Remodel consultation and coordination
• Oversee in-unit construction
• In-unit inspection, follow up and response
• Final inspections
• Maintain the entire facility and related equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
• Ensure the safe working practices for the entire department including regular safety meetings and training.
• Adhere to safe lifting procedures.
• Responsible for the complete knowledge and understanding of all fire and emergency procedures and Gant safety standards.
• Continually monitor all work areas for safety and sanitation.
REPORTS TO: Resort Manager; Close working relationships with Operational Managers
DIRECT REPORTS: Grounds staff, In-unit engineering staff
STATUS: Exempt, Full-time Regular
SALARY RANGE: $75,000 - $85,000 annual
GENERAL BENEFITS: M/D/V, 401(k), EAP, Life Insurance, PTO, Annual Bonus, Wellness Bonus/Ski Pass; See Benefit Summary for full list. Benefits may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, or other requirements and conditions.
This Job Description in no way states that these are the only duties of an employee in this position. The employee is required to comply with all instructions and other related duties requested by their manager. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.