Are you passionate about making a difference in people's lives? Are you motivated to learn and connect people with cutting edge technology? Do you go the extra mile to provide customer delight? We are looking for talented people who are ready to grow with Hargray Communications. We are dedicated to developing our employees for a career and future with us. Hargray Communication is offering a career opportunity as a Cable Maintenance Technician!
General Description of Position:
In this role you will be responsible for Splices, maintaining and repairing all underground cables used to supply Telephone, CATV and High Speed Data services.
The Company: For over 70 years, Hargray has been connecting customers to each other and the world, growing from a local phone company to an industry leader providing residential, business, enterprise, and carrier wholesale communications services. Our mission is to envision and deliver customer delight. In addition to our long history of dedication and commitment to our community, we offer benefits for your health, wealth, protection, well-being, time, and more. Our team of almost 600 colleagues across 8 locations is committed to excellence, delivering the most advanced technology and the best service for our customers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Splices, maintains and repairs copper, coaxial and fiber cables from Central Office or Head End to the de-mark box located at the customer premises.
- Assists in testing of fiber, coaxial and copper cables; uses various fault locating equipment to isolate source of trouble or complaint, including forward and reverse testing of HFC plant.
- Digs with shovel to expose severed or damaged cable. May make sketch of bad or damaged cable to send to Engineering for replacement or upgrade of cable.
- Locates and marks all buried cables to avoid damage by other utilities, companies or persons; uses locator equipment such as Rycom (model 8831) and Dynatel (model 573A).
- Reads and interprets OTDR and fiber optic power meters and coaxial (db) power meter.
- Reads and interprets staking sheets and cable schematics to splice newly installed cable in pedestals and to terminate cable in cross connects; consisting of correctly marking cable pairs, using assigned cable counts and color code, and running jumpers; may also include bonding and grounding if needed.
- Runs pairs for service orders for Engineering and dispatch.
- Assists in small cut-overs for Engineering.
- Verifies information on repair orders and service orders; advises appropriate employees of any needed corrections or changes in information.
- Installs protector and demarcation device at customer premises, at times working in areas with limited space, using hand tools such as drills, screw drivers and punch tool.
- Inspects and maintains vehicle in a clean, orderly, well-stocked fashion on a daily basis; completes necessary paperwork for maintenance or repairs to vehicle.
- Communicates with other departments and companies to repair inoperative or substandard transmissions via the cable.
- Refers employee and customer complaints and problems to immediate supervisor or another member of the management team.
- Provides training and assistance for new employees; participates in cross training.
- Performs on-call/standby duties as needed.
- Night work and weekend work is required.
- May be required to operate excavator or similar heavy equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure effective operation of the department and the Company.
- High school graduate.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of fiber optics.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of HFC.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be willing to learn new material and be able to teach other employees as needed.
- Must have valid driver's license with safe driving history.
Additional Qualifications Desired:
Basic electricity (AC/DC) theory.
Ability to read and interpret construction drawings.
Basic understanding of service order flow and process.
Understanding of REA and Company construction standards and specifications.