The Department of Environmental Services (DES) is searching for an innovative and experienced leader to help capitalize on the synergies between information management, geocoded resources (GIS), and business optimization. DES is a large and complex service-focused operational department with a full range of public works, transportation, facilities, and support operations. This department leader is responsible for ensuring the alignment of business applications and technology capabilities with department business processes, integration of standards, and reinforcing IT architecture guidelines. This Business Intelligence and Decision Support Chief reports directly to the Department Director and leads three major units:
- DES Business Applications Unit,
- Geographic Information System (GIS) and Mapping Center Unit, and
- The Business Intelligence and Optimization Unit.
Specific duties include:
- Leading cross-functional teams of senior leaders in a collaborative manner to improve service delivery and provide new capabilities through innovative use of data and technology;
- Establishing and maintaining DES technology architecture, data, and business applications, insuring appropriate discipline for systems integrations, configuration control, and cyber-security in partnership with the County's CIO;
- Providing DES technical vision and leadership with the goal of addressing operational and customer needs;
- Fostering an environment of innovation in the operations and maintenance of infrastructure and the environment through new tools;
- Providing leadership to assigned team in a fashion that supports the DES culture, mission and values in three critical areas: 1) information management of departmental business applications; 2) County GIS resources; and 3) business intelligence and optimization,
- Identifying efficiencies and operational gains through analytics and tools deployed by the Business Intelligence and Optimization unit;
- Supporting the IT Program Manager in the implementation efforts for all major business applications;
- Providing County leaders with tools and capabilities to analyze data and trends for reports and executive dashboards and leverages GIS and business application information to provide residents with access to County data; and
- Implementing standardized program/project management processes and protocols to insure alignment and compatibility across the network and enterprise.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Management, Information Technology, Computer Science, Business Management, Systems Engineering or related field; and
- Substantial management-level experience in information management, system change, program and project management, operational problem solving especially in business applications and integrations, and presenting actionable options and solutions to executive leadership.
- Master's degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Public Administration, or Business Administration.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification;
- Extensive relevant public-sector experience managing staff and technology or program management efforts;
- Experience providing IT support while embedded within an operational unit or enterprise to fully understand operational mindset of customers;
- Proven ability and experience to rapidly acquire and implement applications in an agile manner;
- Experience providing cost-effective GIS business applications in a dynamic technology environment and interface support for external applications;
- Program and project management experience, to include execution, standards, oversight, performance evaluation, technological integration, and process improvements;
- Contract preparation and administration experience for business applications and GIS to include contract negotiations and scope changes;
- Experience making cost-effective business application and integration decisions, deployment, training, and sustainment of operating department business applications, and integration with enterprise-wide legacy systems.
As part of this application, please include a cover letter that describes in detail how your training, education and experience has prepared you for this position and how you meet the qualifications for this position. Your cover letter should include:
- an overview of your experience in information technology and management systems focused on operational service delivery and/or system change, program/project management, problem solving especially in business applications and integrations, and GIS integration and business applications;
- a description of the type and size of the organization(s) in which you gained the relevant experience, your specific roles and responsibilities and reporting or accountability relationships to operational customers, the size of staff directly supervised, the size of the budget you managed, and programs and projects managed (especially business applications and GIS), and significant accomplishments;
- a description of your general approach to providing cost-effective business applications in a dynamic technology environment;
- a description of your expertise leading a program management office or function, to include the primary function of the team and how you contributed to their program management support efforts; and
- a description of what motivates you to perform and lead in a dynamic and challenging public service environment.
Work hours: Core County business hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position may be required to work outside of core hours and during emergencies regardless of whether some or all County facilities are closed, or programs and services are canceled. Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here . Applications and resumes will be reviewed continuously. Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of applications have been received. - provided by Dice