JOB TITLE: Business and Operations Analyst
LOCATION: Portland, OR
COMPENSATION: $56,000 - $58,000 depending on experience
JOB START DATE: Dec 2020-Jan 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis, closed on December 3, 2020.
All applications must be submitted via our application website at:
Xerces is happy to provide accommodations for the job application process if needed. If you need an accommodation to complete the job application process, please email .
Come join a growing team of conservation professionals at the Xerces Society who are dedicated to protecting some of the world's most important animals. We are seeking a skilled and collaborative Business and Operations Analyst to coordinate multiple administrative projects and ongoing activities related to HR, accounting, contracts, business development, and data management.
At Xerces, we harness the knowledge of scientists and the enthusiasm of the public to implement conservation programs. We take action by helping farms and public agencies develop conservation plans for pollinators and beneficial insects, producing ground-breaking publications on insect conservation, training thousands of farmers and land managers to protect and manage habitat for beneficial insects, protecting endangered species and their habitat, and engaging the public to raise awareness about invertebrates found on farms, forests, prairies, deserts, streams, wetlands, towns and cities. Our methods focus on habitat conservation planning, education, scientific analysis, advocacy, and applied research to conserve invertebrates, such as bees, butterflies, mollusks, and fireflies.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
The Business and Operations Analyst (Analyst) supports Xerces' HR, business development, and data management activities. This includes developing, negotiating and finalizing HR policies, managing a portfolio of service contracts from inception to completion, pursuing and closing opportunities that are generated by program staff, and leading data management projects for program teams. The Analyst works closely with our finance, development, and program staff, as well as with external parties. The Analyst is supervised by the Director of Finance and Operations, and also collaborates closely with the Financial Manager to ensure HR and business development projects are closely coordinated with finance, accounting, and audit activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program and Financial Data Management and Process Improvement:
- Collaborate with the Financial Manager, Budget Analyst, and Development team to optimize reporting functions using Excel and cloud-based accounting system (Netsuite), for example methods to streamline labor forecasting process for financial and grants planning.
- Lead planning and implementation of financial process improvements; such as third party deposit processing, and accounts payable integration to Netsuite.
- Serve as liaison between administration department and other departments, including communications, conservation programs, and development, for any needs related to data management (e.g. program indicator tracking, photo and publication libraries, or cloud-based applications).
- Develop and revise HR policies and procedures in collaboration with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure compliance with changing laws and regulations by evaluating practices, monitoring legal updates, and implementing current federal, state and local laws.
- Along with Finance Director, serve as a front-line resource for Xerces managers and staff regarding the interpretation and application of employment laws and regulations in the context of Xerces' employment
- Training: Assist in identifying or creating training for supervisors on HR topics.
- Recruitment: Review proposed job descriptions/postings for compliance with EEO and other federal guidelines, ensure compliance with affirmative action plan reviews, develop and document consistent interview/rating methodologies, meet with potential hires to review benefits package.
- Coordinate annual and six-month employee evaluation processes with managers; send reminders, provide template and other materials, answer questions about process, identify and implement improvements.
- Oversee utility contracts, lease agreements, database packages, and various subscriptions; negotiate and finalize them, and maintain documentation.
- Manage all insurance packages to ensure coverage meets risk management and all contractual requirements in collaboration with the Contract and Procurement Analyst.
- Develop process to capture leads from program staff, evaluate and prioritize the opportunities, and serve as liaison with the potential partner to close the opportunity.
- Design business models for new lines of service in order to streamline the quote process, and train program staff on communications with potential customers and partners.
- Manage negotiation, execution, compliance, and post-award management of Xerces' service contract portfolio, in close collaboration with the Contract and Procurement Analyst and the Financial Manager.
- Assist Grants team in developing, writing and reporting on project proposals.
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Director of Finance and Operations in order to bring Xerces' policies into alignment with new contractual requirements.
BENEFITS: This position includes a generous benefits package: eleven paid holidays including two floating holidays that may be used for a personal or religious holiday observed by the employee or other occasion per policy, paid time off, paid health, dental, and disability insurance, option to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, participation in a 401k retirement program upon eligibility and a flexible work environment.
TERMS: The Xerces Society is an at-will employer. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information on the Xerces Society and our programs, please see our website:
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Xerces Society is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
PRIORITY REFERRAL OF PROTECTED VETERANS
We request priority referral of protected veterans for all openings with our organization. In order to be considered for employment, all applicants for employment with Xerces Society, apply through our Job Board. When referring or being referred as a candidate, including protected veterans, please refer them to this applicant site; .
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- 4+ years of experience coordinating higher level business and operations activities in tandem with multiple stakeholders across the organization, building consensus and leading projects to successful completion.
- Experience applying accounting principles, hands-on experience with financial accounting software, and working on financial audits.
- Experience interpreting laws or business processes, then writing and implementing organizational policies and procedures in support of them.
- Demonstrated interest or experience in nonprofit work and conservation issues.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills, experience with spreadsheets and word processing applications, specifically Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple team members and responding to requests in a timely manner.
- Ability and willingness to work with diverse teams and constituents in a respectful, equitable, and inclusive fashion.
- Tactful negotiation skills used to achieve results with others who may not have a background in business or data management.
- Strong self-organization and initiative, taking responsibility to resolve issues and complete work assignments with minimal supervision after initial training.
- Reliable attention to detail, with strong editing, proofreading, and document review skills.
- Experience organizing and maintaining data files and structure in a shared team environment.
- Flexibility to embrace a range of duties as required, and adaptability to change project focus as needed.
- Knowledge and experience with HR..... click apply for full job details