* Position open until filled*
The City of Haines City is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants for all positions equally without regard to their race, sex, age, color, religion, creed, national origin, veteran status or any other legally protected status. The City of Haines City is a Drug-Free Workplace. Applicants who successfully complete the initial screening process will be required to complete a pre-employment drug screen and physical. Police Department applicants will also be required to take a Polygraph Examination. All information provided by an applicant will be verified for truthfulness and accuracy if a conditional offer of employment is made. Applications and other submitted documents are consider public record.
Under the general direction of the Development Services Director, manages the daily operations of Building Inspections Division of the City through maintaining the highest of standards and within compliance with the City's Code of Ordinances and the Florida Building Code. Manages and oversees the permitting processes for land and building use, development and/or alterations within the City's limits and/or regulatory authority.
* Manages the daily operations of Building Inspections Division of the City through maintaining the highest of standards and within compliance with the City's Code of Ordinances, International Codes, and the Florida Building Code. Manages and oversees the permitting processes for land and building use, development and/or alterations within the City's limits and/or regulatory authority. Responsible for planning, managing and coordinating the enforcement of State and Local codes governing the construction of the new or existing buildings and/or structures, to include but not limited, coordinating with the Utilities, Planning, Fire, Public Works and Code Compliance; builders, architects, contractors, developers, homeowners, the general public and/or public officials; and participate in Technical Review Board.
* Manages the building plan review and inspections process to ensure consistency with builders, businesses and homeowners attaining and maintaining City's Code of Ordinances, Land Development Regulations, International Codes, and the Florida Building Code. Responsible for establishing and implement processes and procedures to enforce Code standards; dispute resolution; inspection procedures; and permitting criteria. Provides professional and technical assistance to builders, architects, contractors, developers, homeowners, the general public and public officials regarding construction and materials Code standards and/or methods, Certificate of Occupancy, and permitting processes.
* Manages the preparation and administration of the Building Inspections Division's annual budget. Responsible for forecasting expenditures necessary and required to complete the Division's projects; the procurement of goods and services; and Personnel related costs. Manages the selection and retention of the Division's Personnel, to include training and development initiatives.
* Provides staff assistance to the Development Services Director by preparing and presenting department and project related reports during Staff, City Commission, Finance Advisory Board and other City related meetings. May fill in for the Development Services Director when he/she is absent.
* Performs additional duties as assigned.
* Required knowledge and experience is normally obtained through the completion of a curriculum resulting in either a High School Diploma or GED, and at least ten (10) years of work related experience, and a Florida Building Code Administrator certification are required. Five (5) years supervisory in building inspections, standards and development, and plan review experience is required.
* A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or related field is preferred. Ten (10) years work related experience (5 in supervisory capacity as described above) in the category(ies) required by the State of Florida for the Building Code Administrator certification may substitute for having the certification provided that successful candidate can obtain the Building Code Administrator certification within 90 days of hire. Certification is a requirement to remaining employed.
* Requires Plans Examiner / Inspector Certifications.
* Work requires the ability to read letters, memos, contracts, professional and industry literature, and spreadsheets and other job related analysis.
* Work requires the ability to write letters, memos, and contracts.
* Work requires the ability to understand and develop computer models for cost analysis and compose financial and budgetary reports.
* Work requires substantial independent judgment and decision-making.
* Work is widely varied, involving analyzing and evaluating many complex and significant variables.
* Must be able to monitor and assess operations, workload, projects, and staff performance.
* Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Must be able to research, compile and analyze data, and then present findings to the City Commission and City Manager in an acceptable format.
* Organization-wide policies, procedures, or precedents may be developed and/or recommended.
* Should be competent in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point software, Auto CAD and/or GIS.
* Ability to remain up-to-date on Federal, State and City applicable regulations, best practices and policies affecting department activities.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, other federal, state and local governmental representatives, contractors, consultants, vendors, media and the general public is essential.
* Thorough knowledge of the International Building Code, International Mechanical Code, International Plumbing Code, International Residential Code, and the National Electrical Code.
* Thorough knowledge of current construction methods, materials, tools and equipment.
* Must possess a Valid Florida Class E driver license.
* Must pass applicable pre-employment testing and background and credit checks.
This position may be required to report for work when a declaration of emergency has been declared in Polk County.