BUILDING MECHANIC (FACILITIES SERVICES)
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The building maintenance mechanic will support the Facilities Services Department's responsibility for the maintenance of critical infrastructure systems supporting control rooms and computer rooms; as well as preventive/remedial maintenance and property management functions for other campus buildings including the mechanical, electrical, structural, environmental, and fire protection systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for performing basic facilities support tasks such as limited custodial duties, package delivery, furniture set up/knockdown, painting, basic carpentry, cable pulls, and meeting room set-ups.
- Perform monitoring and recording of equipment performance by periodic reading of gauges and displayed information, and appropriately responding to visual and building automation system generated alarms.
- Perform electrical construction such as installation, termination, and inspection of electrical systems ranging up to 480 volts A.C. Basic understanding of electrical theory such as Ohm's law and NEC code is required
- Diagnosis of electrical problems, understanding of test instruments such as ohmmeters, ammeters, voltmeters, and temperature detectors.
- Read building prints such as electrical single line, schematics, and wiring drawings, HVAC design drawings and architectural plans to determine existing infrastructure for planning and/or trouble shooting.
- Utilize Building Automation Systems (BAS.) to monitor infrastructure environmental systems and address system alarm conditions and problems.
- Perform mechanical tasks such as replacing/installing systems components, as air conditioning piping, pumps fans and air handler filters. Ability to correctly read pressure and temperature gauges.
- Familiarity with inspection and basic diagnosis of fire protection systems including ionization detectors, rate-compensated temperature detectors and double-interlocked (pre-action) sprinkler systems.
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Relates well to all kinds of people - up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
CHARACTERISTICS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma
- Physically capable of lifting up to fifty pounds, able to bend, kneel, climb ladders
- Excellent work ethic -- positive, forward-thinking, "can do" attitude.
- Experience with common hand and power tools (hammers, drills, wrenches, ratchet sets)
- Ability to address multiple tasks in concurrent manner from assignment to completion.
- A self-directed and highly motivated worker with the ability to take a project from inception to completion.
- Ability to assimilate information and follow instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management, supervision, peers and customers.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a team-based environment
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to follow safety procedures as well as donning the appropriate PPE
- Previous work experience in commercial office facilities support operation.
- PC literate (use of Microsoft Office tools and Auto Cad)
- Prior experience with shift work and ability to work rotating shifts supporting a 7x24 environment.
- Electrical, mechanical, wiring, or automated building system monitoring experience.
Electrical Engineer,Electrical Technician