Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that's important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means You re ready to inspire and be inspired! You re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we re looking for: The Broadcast Engineer will work with the Spectrum Networks Engineering team to execute and distribute live and preproduced News and/or Sports content to cable and subscribers. Responsible for the set-up, configuration, maintenance, diagnosis and operation of a broad spectrum of broadcast systems and equipment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide basic to intermediate level technical support of broadcast related operating systems.
- Provide hands on engineering support at the client, hardware and software level, including evaluation and resolution of technical issues affecting the network in the following areas if applicable: Studio Production, Master Control Operations, Transmission (including Satellite & IP topologies), Newsroom, Remote Production and/or Remote Sites, Post Production and/or Long Form Edit, Digital Asset Management Systems, and/or Graphics.
- Design, implement and/or install Broadcast Systems such as Broadcast Router, Camera Robotics System, Production Truck, RTS system, etc.
- Work with vendors or other engineering personnel to troubleshoot equipment issues, install system updates and version upgrades.
- Maintenance and repair of broadcast related hardware and software systems.
- Participate in a formal incident rapid response process for high priority incidents.
- Articulate concepts and solutions to mixed skillset users including training as needed.
- Hands-on installation or fabrication of materials for new or modification projects.
- Read, write, and maintain system documentation.
- Monitoring, testing and measuring of critical systems.
- Support on-site and remote productions as an Engineer in Charge.
- Communicate major outages to other team members and department managers.
- Assist internal customers with engineering related issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong knowledge of IP networking and cross-platform operating systems and applications.
- Apply proven communication, analytical and problem solving skills to help identify, report and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of the systems investment.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and solve complex problems while demonstrating a positive attitude and positive approach.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions;
- Ability to relate well with others.
- Assist personnel with engineering-related issues while demonstrating professional behavior, including strong customer service skills.
- Ability to install and/or support cross-platform systems.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Visio, and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge and ability to apply terminations/connectors to various types of network cables such as coaxial, twisted pair, and optical fiber cables that carry SDI video, AES audio, RF and IP signals. Connector Types include BNC, N, F, RJ-45, and D-sub-miniature.
- Broadcast equipment knowledge/experience at the intermediate level should include but not limited to Routing Switchers, Production Switchers, Studio Cameras, Newsroom Systems, Production Automation, Master Control Systems, Digital Asset Management Systems, Terminal Equipment, Encoders, Decoders, Video Test & Measurement, Media Recorders, Video Servers, Post Production.
- Practical knowledge of electrical systems, generators, UPS, plumbing, HVAC and basic construction techniques where and/or as applicable.
- Understanding of broadcast standards.
- Knowledge of Audio/Video over IP.
- Assist and advise facilities department regarding issues that affect broadcast operations where and/or as applicable.
- Responsible for maintenance and documentation of station fleet where and/or as applicable.
- Must have and maintain valid drivers license.
- Must be willing and able to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned location while obeying all traffic laws.
- Associates Degree in Engineering/Technical Discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 Years of Experience as a Maintenance or Broadcast Engineer
- SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) CBTE, CBNE
- FCC General Class License
- Network- CCNA
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation