OHIO VETERANS HOME
"Serving Those Who Served"
The Ohio Veterans Home is a State of Ohio employer and working here is clearly more than "just a job" - it is a privilege to serve our families, friends and neighbors who rely on us throughout our great state. At the Ohio Veterans Homes, we take pride in "Serving Those Who Served." We are a team of dedicated public servants committed to high performance, innovative thinking and delivering excellent and efficient services for our veterans.
The Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky is a 427-bed nursing home facility. Two levels of care are offered: standard care for those veterans in need of any intermediate level of care, and special care for veterans with Memory Care needs.
We are looking for a safety oriented and flexible Boiler Operator to join our team and help us achieve our mission of "Serving Those Who Served."
If you are ready for the next great step in your career*Come join us!
Who we need:
A candidate who*
* Possesses a 3rd Class Stationary Steam Engineer license
* Is highly motivated in performing job duties
* Possesses great observational skills
* Is able to work alone on most tasks
* Is well versed in safety practices in Boiler Operation
* Is willing to work a flexible schedule, when needed
* Has the ability to understand manuals & verbal instruction
* Is flexible, proactive, resourceful, efficient, and professional
What you'll do:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Operates boilers & related mechanical equipment, reads gauges, checks equipment for proper functioning & maintains logs
* Cleans & maintains boiler & related equipment (eg, feed water pumps, oil pumps, electric motors, turbines, air compressor, water regulators, gear boxes, fans, water softeners)
* Tests boiler water & treats same with chemicals
* Performs steam fitting & plumbing duties as related to boiler maintenance
* Prepares boilers for inspection
* Performs miscellaneous duties
What's in it for you:
The State of Ohio offers an excellent benefits package and work/life balance
* Quality, affordable and competitive medical benefits are offered through the Ohio Med PPO plan
* Prescription coverage and a wellness program offering financial incentives are also offered with medical coverage
* To view complete medical coverage information, click here
Free Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance
* Dental, vision and basic life insurance are offered at no cost after one year of continuous service
Work/Life Balance and Time Away From Work
* Paid Time Off - Vacation leave, Personal leave and Sick leave accruals
* 10 paid holidays per year
* Childbirth/Adoption Leave
* Participation in the Alternative Work Schedule after successful completion of first year of employment with approval of supervisor
* 40-hour work week
* Pay increases are granted pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Code
* Pay increase after 6 months of employment and every year thereafter until reaching top pay
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
* OPERS is the retirement system for State of Ohio employees
* State of Ohio employees do not pay into Social Security
* The employee contributes 10% of their salary towards their retirement
* The employer contributes an amount equal to 14% of the employee's salary
* OPERS website
Ohio Deferred Compensation
* The Ohio Deferred Compensation program is a 457(b) voluntary retirement savings plan
* Ohio Deferred Compensation website
* Access to learning and professional development funds
* Flexible spending accounts for eligible healthcare and childcare expenses
* Supplemental life insurance
* Access to the Credit Union of Ohio
* And more
Must possess 3rd Class Stationary Steam Engineer licensure appropriate for type of boiler operation pursuant to Ohio Revised Code section 4104.19
Knowledge of boiler operation safety practices & procedures. Skill in operation of boiler equipment; operation of heavy equipment (eg, loader, backhoe)*; operation of hand & power tools. Ability to understand system of mechanical procedures; understand technical manuals; work alone on most tasks; use limbs, fingers or hands to operate equipment, machinery or tools; stand, bend or walk for long periods of time.
(*)Developed after employment.
Unless otherwise required by legislation or union contract, starting salary will be set at the lowest rate of the salary range with gradual increases after completing probation and following successful annual performance evaluations.
* In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire
* The applicant is required to provide details of minimum qualifications on the application form. Failure to do so will prohibit consideration of the applicant
* Applications must be received no later than 11:59PM of the posting deadline date listed. Applications received after 11:59PM on the designated deadline date will not be considered. Applications must be submitted online at
Paper applications will not be accepted or considered
The Ohio Department of Veterans Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status and/or military status in employment or the provision of services.
NOTE: Those who are contacted for an interview should inform the Ohio Veterans Home Office of Human Resources ASAP if, as a result of a disability, they will need an accommodation to participate in any phase of the interview process. Such notice will not affect your eligibility to apply for this position.
Unusual Working Conditions
Exposed to high temperatures & loud noise; may work in tight or confined area; may work outside in unpleasant weather conditions.
Background Check Information
The final applicant selected for this position may be required to submit to urinalysis prior to an appointment to test for illegal drug use. The State will decline to extend a final offer of employment to any applicant with a verified positive test result. Also, an applicant with a positive test result will not be considered for any position with the State of Ohio for a period of one year (not applicable to current state employees).
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal records check as required by Section 3721.121 of the Ohio Revised Code. Applicants who have been convicted or pleaded guilty to any of the offenses listed in 3721.121 (C)(1)(a) may be excluded from consideration
provided by The Sandusky RegisterSandusky Register. Keywords: Boiler Operator, Location: Sandusky, OH - 44870