HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc
HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking a motivated As-Needed Biologist for Utility Work, with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic, to join our San Diego County and Orange County office locations (offices located in La Mesa, Carlsbad, and Irvine). HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, GIS, and air quality and greenhouse gas services to both the public and private sectors.
Why work for HELIX? We are an employee-owned firm, hard-working with a casual and collaborative work environment. Our employees describe us as Team-oriented, Caring, Client-focused, Flexible, and driven by our standards of Integrity. In addition to our competitive benefit package, we have robust, award-winning wellness and community volunteer programs and much more! We are excited to meet you!
This is an as-needed biologist position to provide assistance to our biology team during the busy season, or as required due to work demand. In addition to the requirements below, we are looking for candidates who demonstrate excellent communication skills, including using creativity and analytical skills to develop solutions for project challenges. Candidates must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and be a team player.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.
Biology Duties may include:
• Conducting biology surveys, including vegetation mapping, and/or focused species surveys.
• Conducting biological monitoring for construction and restoration projects.
• Managing personal workload and coordinate schedule with Project Managers and Biology Operations Manager, as appropriate.
• Maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
• Providing high quality work products on schedule and within budget.
Biologist Minimum Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an environmental science, biology, or related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable).
• Two years of experience (outside of academic requirements) as a professional biologist, preferably with an environmental consulting firm.
• Experience conducting flora and/or fauna surveys in Southern California.
• One year of experience conducting biological and compliance monitoring for public utilities such as Southern California Edison, San Diego Gas & Electric, Pacific Gas & Electric.
• Experience with field data collection methods and equipment (e.g., Arc GIS Collector, submeter accuracy GPS unit).
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Candidates must be able to hike long distances over alternating terrain under varying weather conditions.
• Valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record over the last three years (or if you have an out-of-state license, you will apply for a CA Driver's License within 10 days of residency in CA).
Qualifications considered a plus:
• Experience conducting biological site evaluations and/or fuel modification monitoring for San Diego Gas & Electric projects.
• Experience preparing monitoring or technical reports for utility projects.
• Permits to survey for Southern California special status flora and fauna (e.g. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service permits for Quino Checkerspot butterfly or coastal CA gnatcatcher or California Department of Fish and Wildlife Scientific Collections Permit).
• Experience conducting surveys for arroyo toad and/or least Bell's vireo.
• Experience conducting jurisdictional delineations and California Rapid Assessment Method (CRAM) analyses.
#biology #biologist #environmentalscience #environmentalconsulting #utilities #SDGE #SCE #PGE #monitoring #flora #fauna