VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
Architect, Real Estate Development
Come make a difference! Volunteers of America is one the nation's largest and most comprehensive human services organizations. Since 1896, our ministry of service has supported and empowered America's most vulnerable groups, including at-risk youth, the frail elderly, men and women returning from prison, homeless individuals and families, people with disabilities, and those recovering from addictions. We are one of the nation's largest nonprofit providers of quality, affordable housing for low and moderate-income households and persons with special needs.
Objective: The Architect, within the Real Estate Development department of Volunteers of America National Services (VOANS) that produces rental affordable housing across the United States and Puerto Rico. The selected candidate will work within the team to support the development of housing and mixed-use developments. Specifically, this position will provide the development team with design advice and guidance from project concept through construction completion and stabilized operations. The majority of our projects are financed through the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program (LIHTC). VOANS is one of the largest non-profits developers and owners of affordable housing. The portfolio includes rehab of existing assets, new construction and acquisition rehab.
Essential Functions, Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist development team with assessing potential affordable housing development sites nationwide and strategic key markets.
- Assist in the selection and negotiations with external project architects, engineers, contractors and consultants. Manage contract terms with support of legal and development staff.
- Oversee and coordinate all technical activities relating to the design of projects. This includes reviewing all architectural/engineering drawings, scopes of work, specifications, computer models, approving all phases on architectural design, working with general contractors and working closely with VOANS internal construction managers.
- Evaluate design criteria, proposals and commitments for Request for Proposals (RFP) and Qualified Allocation Plans (QAP) in accordance to prescribed deadlines, and explain relevant details, reports, budget line items, and goals in clear and persuasive language.
- Assess potential projects for feasibility by researching and analyzing local governmental regulations, design requirements, technology requirements, and market demand.
- Review project programs and explore innovative solutions.
- Remain up-to-date with current and trending elements of design, construction, and technology by reading industry publications, manuals, textbooks, peer developer projects and attend professional development courses/workshops and events as time permits.
- Innovate and develop new standards, policies, and procedures for architectural design and engineering work as necessary to minimize costs, maximize efficiency, and ensure best long term durability/life cycle options.
Experience and Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in architectural engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum eight years of experience in the affordable housing and multi- family industry with knowledge of design requirements for various funding programs such as LIHTC, HUD insured programs and Enterprise Green Communities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills along with presentation techniques.
- Ability to effectively lead and collaborate with team members to promote best practices.
- Able to work independently and be accountable to achieve deadlines and meet commitments.
- LEED certification and understanding of sustainable design - preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of public finance programs including tax credits and bond financing - preferred but not required.