Job Req ID: 67419
The Department of Oncology at Greenspring is seeking an Administrative Supervisor who supervises, trains and coaches medical office coordinators. Monitors activity for quality and productivity. Ensure a smoothly functioning office and good patient relations. Resolves patient problems and/or refers patients to appropriate resources; exercises independent judgment in the resolution of administrative problems. Adapts to changes in technology and software to ensure efficient office practice. The candidate is also responsible for a variety of patient related activities and is required to have a good working knowledge of the Green Spring satellite clinical operation, patient care delivery model and referral services for oncology. Responsible for scheduling staff, performance management, employee time management, record keeping and direct replacement for absence medical office coordinators.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
* Serve as liaison for the director to department administration, clinical management and hospital services.
* Coordinates and implements office services such as payroll, for JHU staff members.
* Assists patients, patients' families, referring physicians and third party carriers to resolve patient related issues.
* Triage patient calls and medical issues. Answers patient medical questions where appropriate and determines if director/nurse response is required.
* Schedules patients for laboratory tests, medical examinations, procedures and admissions. Resolves any schedule conflicts. Uses automated records systems, Epic, to access, enter and edit patient information.
* Relays information to patients regarding preparation for laboratory tests, examinations, and procedures. Assures all patient correspondence (consent, orders, history & physical, etc.) Is transmitted to correct areas in a timely manner to streamline patient processing.
* Utilizes knowledge of practice and requirements of third party payors to provide appropriate documentation to assure authorization/certification for medical services.
* Demonstrates awareness of limitations of institutional resources and seeks to maximize scheduling with this context. Proactively seeks to schedule/reschedule patients to efficiently utilize resources (e.g. backfill to cover cancellations or add urgent appointments).
* Assists patients or family members with completion of medical insurance and disability forms.
* Arranges or assists in arranging patient transportation.
* Interprets and communicates operating policies.
* Coordinates collection and preparation of end of day patients' payments/co-pays.
* Operates personal computer to access e-mail, electronic calendars and other basic office support software.
* Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and /or format data and/or reports.
* Acts as a Medical Office Coordinator, to provide depth of staff in case of unexpected absence and planned vacations.
* Works with the practice administrator for proper clinical staff coverage on a daily basis. Ensures patient flow and coordination to maintain maximum efficiency in the clinical operation.
* Responsible for special projects as assigned by the director or administrator.
Scope of Responsibilities:
* Knows the formal and informal departmental goals, standards, policies and procedures which may include some familiarity of other departments within the school/division. Is sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within the department.
* On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs and/or quality of service within the functional unit.
* Participates in the development of unit policies and procedures.
* Directs the activities of two or more full-time staff with authority to discipline.
* Oversees individual employee development and training, and conducts performance appraisals.
* Organizes and prioritizes work to meet changing needs.
* Responsible for staffing to meet service targets.
* Participates in meetings and makes decisions based on previous or follow-up discussions with Manager and or Director.
* The Supervisor will take the initiative on identifying problems and implementing solutions.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
* High School Diploma/GED.
* Five (5) years progressively responsible administrative experience.
* Additional education may substitute for some experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Requires a minimum of five years progressively responsible medical office/health services management.
* Experience in the Johns Hopkins system strongly preferred.
* Supervisory experience preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Medical terminology required.
Intermediate computer and proofreading skills required.
* Strong verbal and telephone communication skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Strong analytical skills
* Excellent time management skills, maintains a good schedule / calendar
* Excellent customer service orientation
* Ability to efficiently manage multiple work priorities
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Administrative Supervisor
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OF
Starting Hourly Pay Rate Range: $41,638 - $57,221 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Greenspring Station
Department name: SOM Onc Greenspring
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit and all other JHU applicants should visit
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
JH at Greenspring Station