OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core. OpenAI is dedicated to putting that alignment of interests first - ahead of profit.
To achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity. Our investment in diversity, equity, and inclusion is ongoing, executed through a wide range of initiatives, and championed and supported by leadership.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
About the Team
OpenAI Finance ensures the organization is set up for financial success in pursuit of its mission. This role is an exciting position that demands excellence in technical skills, strength in building new processes, and a proven ability to balance complex cross-functional initiatives. The Accounting Manager crafts and owns scalable financial processes, ensures that we get our numbers right, and is a financial linchpin for the organization.
You will be responsible for owning key accounting functions including reporting, month end close, annual audits, and financial operations. You will also be jointly responsible for strategic partner management, vendor relationships, and budgets. This role will report to the Controller and work closely with the CFO, COO, cross-functional department leads, and key external partners. You should expect to play a meaningful role in building - and sustaining - a world class finance team.
About the Role
As an Accounting Manager, your responsibilities will include:
* Ownership of core accounting responsibilities including financial reporting, month-end close, and coordination of annual audits across the organization
* Management of service provider relationships including audit and outsourced operational and technical accounting
* Finding opportunities for efficiency improvements and driving implementation of the solutions across the finance tech stack
* Helping scale our revenue by contributing to the growth and success of our commercial efforts, including the OpenAI API and Codex
* Supporting new research and products by working cross-functionally to manage risk and build scalable accounting processes
* Assisting in building and maintaining the internal control environment to the ensure accuracy of OpenAI's financials
* Working with broader OpenAI Finance to analyze deviations in budgeted versus actual results and inform the annual plan
We're looking for a blend of:
* 6+ years of relevant accounting experience at some combination of public accounting firm, private company, or start-up, showing progressive responsibilities
* BA/BS in Accounting or Finance
* CPA or CA and excellent technical accounting skills with a detailed understanding of GAAP standards
* Strong project management skills encompassing attention to detail and ability to prioritize and lead high priority tasks on concurrent timelines
* Effective verbal and written communication skills
* Experience working with modern software and systems, particularly NetSuite and Airbase
You might enjoy this role if:
* You're an enthusiastic self-starter. You thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment, and expect to own multiple areas. You take ownership of your work and believe that a job not done well is a job not done.
* You're excited about new challenges. You don't have the answers to every question up front, but the process of solving them invigorates you. Complex issues requiring multifaceted knowledge excite you.
* You are proactive and analytical. You instinctively seek ways to improve processes by improving the accuracy of the underlying accounting records and mitigating operational inefficiencies. You demonstrate professional skepticism and a willingness to question why something is being done. You're detailed and diligent.
* You're a phenomenal teammate. You're a strong communicator who can explain complex topics with ease, in any format. You intuitively understand the importance of keeping everyone in the loop, and you take proactive measures to do so. You're intellectually honest.
* You're a builder. You not only embrace the opportunity to have a direct impact on how a company operates, you revel in it. An organization relies on the quality of its foundation and your passion is building strong systems and processes from the ground up.
* You're passionate about technology and artificial intelligence.
Benefits and Perks
* Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
* Mental health and wellness support
* 401(k) plan with 4% matching
* Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
* Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
* Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations via .